Skip to main content

I'm attempting to upload a file to a S3 bucket and getting errors even though uploading via Cloudberry Explorer has no difficulty on the same machine.

"Unable to execute HTTP request: Connection refused: connect"

Does the S3Uploader use the Network proxy settings?

I can't seem to find anything that says whether it does or not.

The following looks correct (besides my little erased bits) right?

Hi @peterkt,

This is currently a known issue and scheduled to be fixed for 2017. The S3 transformers are not able to utilise the proxy setup in FME options. As soon as this has been fixed, I will ensure this community answer is updated.

Brian

For those stumbling upon this issue, I just want to add that this limitation is also present in the S3 Subscription service on FME Server.

Unfortunately, it seems that there no plans to add proxy support for the subscription service for FME 2017.

Hi @peterkt,

I'm pleased to announce that in FME 2017.0, the S3Uploader will now honor system proxy settings. Please note however, that there are some non-supported configurations:

• Custom proxy maps
  • NTLM or Digest proxy authentication (as seen when you go to Tools-->FME Options-->Network Proxy-->'Use Authentication').

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Annabelle

Hi @peterkt,

This is currently a known issue and scheduled to be fixed for 2017. The S3 transformers are not able to utilise the proxy setup in FME options. As soon as this has been fixed, I will ensure this community answer is updated.

Brian

@BrianAtSafe

I have also come across the same issue using FME Desktop 2017

Does anyone know if this is supposed resolved in this version ?

Is there a way I could tell if FME is using the Network Proxy setting in FMEOptions ?

@BrianAtSafe

I have also come across the same issue using FME Desktop 2017

Does anyone know if this is supposed resolved in this version ?

Is there a way I could tell if FME is using the Network Proxy setting in FMEOptions ?

Can you verify that your settings doesn't fall under the non-supported configurations listed by Annabelle above?

@david_r

No, I am using "Use System Proxy Settings". No authentication required

I have setup the proxy in Internet Options in Control Panel.

In Fiddler, the response contains "HTTP/1.1 407 Proxy Authorization Required"

@david_r

No, I am using "Use System Proxy Settings". No authentication required

I have setup the proxy in Internet Options in Control Panel.

In Fiddler, the response contains "HTTP/1.1 407 Proxy Authorization Required"

The error indicates that the proxy server requires authentication, but none was received. There's a possibility that the required proxy authentication type is either one of the types not supported, as mentioned by Annabelle.

I recommend that you contact Safe support for further assistance.

@AnnabelleAtSafe

On the same server, I can connect to S3 bucket using S3 browser by setting connection to Auto Detect Proxy Settings.

So I tried to use same setting in Internet Options i.e. Automatically detect settings". Then in FME Options, I have Use System Proxy Settings.

However this doesn't work and comes back with "Unable to execute HTTP request: Connection refused: connect ".

Also I don't see any request made in Fiddler.

Any suggestions ?

Just wondering if there have been any improvements to proxy support in the S3Uploader since 2017? Do more recent builds honour the full proxy settings? From observation it would appear to still be a problem in FME 2018.1...

Just wondering if there have been any improvements to proxy support in the S3Uploader since 2017? Do more recent builds honour the full proxy settings? From observation it would appear to still be a problem in FME 2018.1...

Hi @nic_ran, Thanks for your question. I checked in with our development team, and they've confirmed your observation. There hasn't been any update on Proxy support in S3 transformers since Annabelle last posted in April last year. It would be really helpful if you could post this as a new Idea, and provide some details on how important is this support for your work. This would help us prioritize development work. Thank you very much for your continued support, and your patience.

Cheers,

Xiaomeng

Hi @peterkt,

I'm pleased to announce that in FME 2017.0, the S3Uploader will now honor system proxy settings. Please note however, that there are some non-supported configurations:

• Custom proxy maps
  • NTLM or Digest proxy authentication (as seen when you go to Tools-->FME Options-->Network Proxy-->'Use Authentication').

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Annabelle

"Idea" for full proxy support posted:

https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/88997/full-proxy-support-in-s3uploader.html

Thank you @nic_ran