Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

I'm reading in a DGN file, but when I inspect/run it, only the paper space is output. Unlike the AutoCAD DWG writer, there doesn't seem to be a Paper Space On/Off toggle. How can I read in only the default/model space? Thank you.

Hi,

when I read DGN with multiple Models (like Default model and paper space), I get both viewed and can filter via Attribute igds_model_name. Maybe that helps, expose the format attribute and try to filter.

Thanks for the reply, however that doesn't work. I've noticed that the line from the DGN has less than a 100 features going along it, when it fact it contains far more geometry (the source file is 155MB of triangles). When you write straight back to a DGN (no transformers) it only writes out the sheet and the file has reduced to 30kb so the model space geometry is not being read in.

Hi,

Is it possible to send the dgn file?

Thanks for offering to take a look, I've saved the file here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/os4encnxh8ziz27/Sample.dgn?dl=0

Sorry that it's so large (220MB). I deleted out some of the geometry and compressed it, but it didn't reduce the filesize for some reason! I should mention, after the initial post I found out that the file was created via Bentley OpenRoads. I'm guessing this is what's causing the issue.

Interestingly, when you save to a DWG and repeat the process, the default space comes across fine. I also visualised the DGN output below, filtering out the text. I'm fairly sure it's only seeing the title-block in the sheet space, i.e. the default space is not being read in as part of the Feature Type.

dgn-data-inspector.png

Thanks again, Amit

@pratap

Sorry, revised link here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/os4encnxh8ziz27/Sample.dgn?dl=0

(download button takes a few seconds to appear)

I suspect the problem is that some of your geometries are a mesh, and FME doesn't support mesh geometries at this time. That's why so much data is missing from your source dataset.

If you need to be able to read these features, please contact safe.com/support and ask to be added to the enhancement request for this. Quote reference number PR#24293 and they will know what to do.

Apologies that this limitation is causing you problems. I hope we can get it implemented soon.

Regards

Mark

@Mark2AtSafe, thanks, I will do. As noted above, it does work if you first convert to DWG, presumably it is stored in a different manner post-conversion.
@Mark2AtSafe, thanks, I will do. As noted above, it does work if you first convert to DWG, presumably it is stored in a different manner post-conversion.
We probably support meshes in DWG but not DGN. It happens sometimes, that formats are different like this. I hope that is an effective workaround for you.