Skip to main content
Question

Read coordinates from Microstation V8 file

• 4 March 2013
  • 4 replies

I have a set of microsation v8 files.  The files have a coordinate system attached to them.  When I use FME to read in and output file to a different format (such as shape files), the readouts now show that everything has been shrunk to within fractions of a seconds of the origins of the file, instead of being in their true geographic location.  Is there anyway to get FME to correctly read the coordinates so my output data is in the correct location?
It might be that you need to override the coordinate system specified in the dgn file. You can do this on the Reader parameters in the Navigator.

Let us know if that doesn't help.

David
On your DGN Reader there is a parameter called "UOR to FME Feature Coordinate Units scale Factor" you may need to set this to define the number of ground units per UOR. Search for UOR in the FME Readers/Writers manual for more. Of course you could also try out the 'Scaler' transformer to apply the scale you need.
Setting the UOR to FME Feature Coordinate Units scale factor seemed in fix the scaling issue.  However now my data is shifted from its true location..
Hi Angelam!

You can use the Offsetter to shift to the correct location if you know the difference in x/y. I have noticed that some DWG-files does not contain any reasonable x/y, only "dummy" values from 0,0 in the lower left for instance.