Skip to main content

After upgrading FME Server from 2022 to 2023.1 my existing workspaces have started failing due to the following error:

Python Exception <TypeError>: init() takes at most 2 arguments (4 given)

ARCGISPORTALFEATURES writer: An error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

The same workspace runs correctly locally on FME Desktop (both 2022 and 2023) and I have tested reuploading the WS from FME Desktop 2023 to the Server but without success.

I tried creating an entirely new workspace in FME 2023 that should just write a single object using the Portal Feature Service Writer. It failed with the same error on both Desktop and Server when writing to a referenced feature service but was successful with a hosted feature service.

In summary:

Original workspace (writing to referenced feature service with Portal writer)

FME 2022 FME 2023
Desktop Yes Yes
Server Yes No

New workspace in FME 2023 with Portal writer

Referenced feature service Hosted feature service
Desktop No Yes
Server No Yes

Any ideas as to what this might be caused by? I can see from the logs that the job is using Python 3.11:

Loaded Python module `arcgisonlinefeatures' from file `xxx\python\python311\arcgisonlinefeatures\__init__.pyc'

Hi, @take_vf.

Thanks for posting and for your patience. This is currently a bug [FMEENGINE-79011]. We apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. We’ll keep you posted.

Thanks,

@AliAtSafe thanks for your reply. I could not find the bug listed among know issues for FME 2023. Are you working on a solution, and how long can I expect to wait? I have dozens of workspaces that use the Portal Feature writer that are the result of many hundreds of hours of work and now are unusable. Do you have a suggestion for what I should do in the meantime? Will rolling back to FME Server 2022 solve the issue?

Hi, @take_vf.

Thanks for your patience. Currently this bug is resolved for the purpose of making logging more readable when an error is raised in 2023.2+. The underlying error causing it to be raised (i.e., a user doesn’t have admin access to the feature service they are writing to and the capabilities declared on the feature service don’t match the feature operation they’re using) likely still exists. It might be easily fixable in other versions, if needed, by overwriting file(s). Let me know if this helps or needs more explanation, happy to help!

@AliAtSafe 

The account we use for writing from FME to our Enterprise portal has access to the contents of the entire portal, so this should not be an issue. But if you know of specific permissions that are needed in Enterprise I can double-check that the account has been granted these.

I would be interested in any potential solution to this issue, which files would need overwriting?

Hi, @take_vf.

We appreciate your patience.

We think the best recommended course of action is to try a build that has the fix from FMEENGINE-79011] (i.e., 2023.2+) to see if the issue is resolved. If it is not, then we’d like to kindly request to turn on debug logging to capture the HTTP traffic to see if we can diagnose / reproduce the error on our end.

Thanks!