Skip to main content

I'm using FME Server and I'm trying to switch some notifications over to an automations. In the old notifications system, the JSON object that you can pass into the published workspace parameter has the path of every attachment in the email. In the new automations systems, it looks like the "Email Attachment" variable only has a single attachment path passed (the first attachment in the email), instead of every attachment path. Is there a way to pass all the attachment paths into the workspace input parameter using automations? Thanks

Hi @mpaivinen, thank you for posting this question to the FME Community – and for checking out the new Automations feature in FME Server 2019!

Currently, we are unable to process multiple attachments in FME Server Automations like you can with the Email Publication available in Notifications.

We recognize the demand from our users that this capability would be very useful. Until we have released / enabled it for Automations, then I would suggest to use the Email Publication for the time being if it is a requirement for your workflow.

It is possible to tie an existing Notifications workflow into Automations by posting to an FME Server Topic – and having that Topic trigger the start of an Automation you have configured. We have had some of our users do this, but you might find it easier to leave the workflow in Notifications until we can support multiple attachments.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Hi @mpaivinen, thank you for posting this question to the FME Community – and for checking out the new Automations feature in FME Server 2019!

Currently, we are unable to process multiple attachments in FME Server Automations like you can with the Email Publication available in Notifications.

We recognize the demand from our users that this capability would be very useful. Until we have released / enabled it for Automations, then I would suggest to use the Email Publication for the time being if it is a requirement for your workflow.

It is possible to tie an existing Notifications workflow into Automations by posting to an FME Server Topic – and having that Topic trigger the start of an Automation you have configured. We have had some of our users do this, but you might find it easier to leave the workflow in Notifications until we can support multiple attachments.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks Rylan

Hi @mpaivinen,

I'm pleased to let you know that in FME Server 2020 we now have the ability to pass multiple email attachments through an Automation using a new Output Key - 'Email Attachments Folder'. To see this in action you can download the latest FME betas from safe.com/downloads.

Hi @mpaivinen,

I'm pleased to let you know that in FME Server 2020 we now have the ability to pass multiple email attachments through an Automation using a new Output Key - 'Email Attachments Folder'. To see this in action you can download the latest FME betas from safe.com/downloads.

I currently am using the Automations with 2019.1 using a workaround. I'm glad that 2020 will have this new addition!

First I get the attachment ID from email.attachment in $(FME_TOPIC_MESSAGE) JSON using regex in the string searcher.

(?<=emailattachments\\\\)(.*)(?=\\\\)

Then I use a directory and file pathnames feature reader to return the attachment files for that specific ID.

C:/ProgramData/Safe Software/FME Server/resources/system/temp/emailattachments/@Value(_attachment_id)

Now you will have all of the attachment file paths.