Skip to main content

I have multiple features incoming so I need to make this a non-manual process. Currently I'm overwriting a number of features (but not all) in a gdb with updated data that is incoming.

Some of the features are completely new data, so they need to import into the same GDB.

I currently have my writer set to Truncate Existing, which works perfectly for overwriting. Any ideas how I can Overwrite and set it to import a new feature (if there is one) as well?

Thanks

Hi @kimburrows1242,

The Truncate Table Handling deletes all rows from the existing table but leaves the table definition, if the table does not exist the translation will fail.

So this won't really be updating existing records, as it will drop the table first (leaving the schema behind), and then insert all of the features that are being sent to the GDB writer. The attached screenshot shows this by connecting the second reader feature type to the same writer feature type using the truncate existing table handling option. Since you are already truncating the table, any feature that you send to the writer will be inserted as long as the schema and geometry match.

Inspecting the output GDB

Note: If you want to update existing records in the existing table rather than truncating the table, another option would be to use a second writer feature type. The first writer feature type should use the Update Feature Operation with the Use Existing Table Handling - this will update the existing features. The second writer feature type should then use the Insert Feature operation.

Hope this helps.

Hi @kimburrows1242,

The Truncate Table Handling deletes all rows from the existing table but leaves the table definition, if the table does not exist the translation will fail.

So this won't really be updating existing records, as it will drop the table first (leaving the schema behind), and then insert all of the features that are being sent to the GDB writer. The attached screenshot shows this by connecting the second reader feature type to the same writer feature type using the truncate existing table handling option. Since you are already truncating the table, any feature that you send to the writer will be inserted as long as the schema and geometry match.

Inspecting the output GDB

Note: If you want to update existing records in the existing table rather than truncating the table, another option would be to use a second writer feature type. The first writer feature type should use the Update Feature Operation with the Use Existing Table Handling - this will update the existing features. The second writer feature type should then use the Insert Feature operation.

Hope this helps.

Hi there, I think I see what you're saying but it'd be REALLY great to see the actual dummy workbench? I can't seem to work out the string replacer? Could you attach it? Thank you, Kim