Skip to main content

Hi,

I have a set of PDF survey templates that I have written a workspace for to extract the infilled data from. I want to be able to add individual readers for each PDF to keep each survey separate. However when i select multiple files, even when individual feature types are selected it still only inserts one reader.

Has anyone any ideas how to make FME add multiple readers, one for each PDF?

Thanks in advance :)

You would have to add the files individually, to have multiple Readers.

A better idea would be making your workspace dynamic, with group-bys and fanouts, so that there is a single data stream, but each pdf is processed independently.

You would have to add the files individually, to have multiple Readers.

A better idea would be making your workspace dynamic, with group-bys and fanouts, so that there is a single data stream, but each pdf is processed independently.

Hi, thanks for your response. I'm looking to process all of these pdfs and write them to a single sheet of a summary spreadsheet, so I don't think fan-outs are suitable for that? The issue is that each set of 300+ features in each pdf don't have a unique identifier, which is what I add manually with an attribute manager.

If you have any ideas for a more sophisticated way of doing this any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi, thanks for your response. I'm looking to process all of these pdfs and write them to a single sheet of a summary spreadsheet, so I don't think fan-outs are suitable for that? The issue is that each set of 300+ features in each pdf don't have a unique identifier, which is what I add manually with an attribute manager.

If you have any ideas for a more sophisticated way of doing this any suggestions would be appreciated.

Why not use fme_dataset as your unique identifier?

Why not use fme_dataset as your unique identifier?

Unfortunately its missing for these pdfs, as is most of the other unexposed attributes!

Unfortunately its missing for these pdfs, as is most of the other unexposed attributes!

fme_dataset should always be available. You just need to expose it to the canvas either on the reader feature type (format attributes), or with an attributeExposer tramsformer.
fme_dataset should always be available. You just need to expose it to the canvas either on the reader feature type (format attributes), or with an attributeExposer tramsformer.

I used an attributeExposer but it says 'missing'.

I used an attributeExposer but it says 'missing'.

Interesting, I've verified it works if you set in on the pdf_no_layer feature type.

right-click ->properties->format attributes->fme_dataset exposed checkbox

Interesting, I've verified it works if you set in on the pdf_no_layer feature type.

right-click ->properties->format attributes->fme_dataset exposed checkbox

Brilliant, that's worked!