Skip to main content
This seems like it should be an easy one, but I'm stumped. Getting this error when attempting to truncate the existing dbo.T_Inspector table and insert everything from a SDE Table of the same name.

MS SQL Server Writer: A feature has arrived with 'fme_feature_type' of dbo.T_Inspector, but the feature type is not recognized. Halting translation

The destination is MS SQL Server 2012 table. Not spatial at all. Here are the lines from the log (I've removed my usernames and server names for confidentiality).

2015-11-05 10:03:57| 1.6| 0.1|INFORM|FME Configuration: Named Connection Storage: 'G:\\MIS\\FME\\named_connection_files'
2015-11-05 10:03:57| 1.6| 0.0|INFORM|FME Configuration: Using Named Connection values from 'username/tamis_lookup' for MSSQL_ADO_1

2015-11-05 10:03:57| 1.6| 0.0|INFORM|Creating writer for format: Microsoft SQL Server Non-spatial

2015-11-05 10:03:59| 1.7| 0.0|INFORM|Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for writer named `MSSQL_ADO'

2015-11-05 10:03:59| 1.7| 0.0|INFORM|Loaded module 'MSSQL_ADO' from file 'C:\\Program Files\\FME2015\\plugins/FME_ADO.dll'

2015-11-05 10:03:59| 1.7| 0.0|INFORM|FME API version of module 'MSSQL_ADO' matches current internal version (3.7 20150407)

2015-11-05 10:03:59| 1.7| 0.0|INFORM|FME Configuration: No destination coordinate system set

2015-11-05 10:03:59| 1.7| 0.0|INFORM|FME API version of module 'MSSQL_ADO' matches current internal version (3.7 20150407)

2015-11-05 10:03:59| 1.7| 0.0|INFORM|Writer `MSSQL_ADO_1' of type `MSSQL_ADO' using group definition keyword `MSSQL_ADO_DEF'

2015-11-05 10:03:59| 1.7| 0.0|INFORM|MS SQL Server Writer: Opening `tamis_lookup' for write operation

2015-11-05 10:03:59| 1.7| 0.0|INFORM|MS SQL Server Writer: Read 0 DEF line(s). Found 0 attribute(s)

2015-11-05 10:04:00| 1.7| 0.0|ERROR |MS SQL Server Writer: A feature has arrived with 'fme_feature_type' of dbo.T_Inspector, but the feature type is not recognized. Halting translation

2015-11-05 10:04:00| 1.7| 0.0|ERROR |A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

2015-11-05 10:04:00| 1.7| 0.0|ERROR |A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

2015-11-05 10:04:00| 1.7| 0.0|WARN |MS SQL Server Writer: Aborting write operation

2015-11-05 10:04:00| 1.7| 0.0|WARN |MS SQL Server Writer: Translation aborted -- rerun specifying "MS SQL Server Writer_START_TRANSACTION 0"

2015-11-05 10:04:01| 1.7| 0.0|INFORM|MS SQL Server Writer: Closing `tamis_lookup' . Write operation complete

What could cause this error? The table DOES exist and the ID I'm using has db_datareader, db_datawriter roles assigned to it for the database.

I'm using FME 2015.1.1 64-bit.

Sarah

Hi

First try inserting an AttributeKeeper before the output feature type, check only the attributes explicitely listed in your target table. Let us know how that works.

David

Quick question - is this a dynamic Writer? Or just a plain one?

It turns out that this problem is caused by a corrupted workspace. The DEF line for the dbo.T_Inspector was actually missing from the .fmw file. The workspace was originally built using an older version of FME and modified in FME 2015.1.1. Replacing the Writer and saving the workspace solved the problem. I had another customer report the same issue working with older workspaces which were also being modified in FME 2015.1.1

A fix for the behaviour that corrupts the workspace is available in FME 2015.1.2 but replacing the writer and re-saving the workspace also seems to solve the problem.

Quick question - is this a dynamic Writer? Or just a plain one?

Just a plain writer.

I am encountering this error as well. However, I am attempting to utilize a dynamic writer. I am running FME Desktop 2016.0.1.1. Any insight would be appreciated.

I am encountering this error as well. However, I am attempting to utilize a dynamic writer. I am running FME Desktop 2016.0.1.1. Any insight would be appreciated.

If seeing this error message using a Dynamic writer it is likely that your schema features have different fme_feature_type_names than the features that are arriving at the writer. When they don't match, the Dynamic Writer will fail. If you can send your workspace, source data and any other supporting files into support we can take a look at it. https://support.safe.com/knowledgeSubmitCase?

Same trouble, same solution, thanks.
I regularly run into this message. Completely baffles me, sometimes @RetiredRobyn solution works, however not allways. Now I start to see a pattern, I did a reboot of the server that FME is running on. So, the sequence is:
1. Run FME --> fails with 'A feature has arrived with... '
2. Safe workspace, do not change anything.
3. Reboot the computer where FME is running
4. Reconnect to VM when it is up again and restart the workspace.
5. Voila, it works!

A customer has just reported a similar issue. The SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer is returning this error:

Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer: A feature has arrived with 'fme_feature_type' of NO_ATTRS, but the feature type is not recognized. Halting translation

It's not a dynamic process. The FeatureType that has to write exists in the Database and it's not called "NO_ATTRS". It even writes several features before stopping due to that error:

MULTI_WRITER: multi_writer_id `4': Started outputting features
FME Configuration: Using Named Connection values from '<connectionName>' for MSSQL_ADO_4
Creating writer for format: Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial
Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for writer named `MSSQL_ADO'
FME API version of module 'MSSQL_ADO' matches current internal version (3.8 2018060
Writer `MSSQL_ADO_4' of type `MSSQL_ADO' using group definition keyword `MSSQL_ADO_4_DE
Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer: Opening `<connectionName>' for write operation
Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer: Read 1 DEF line(s).  Found 31 attribute(s)
Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer: Trying to connect using SQL Server 2012 Native Client.
MULTI_WRITER: multi_writer_id `4': Writing feature 1000 
MULTI_WRITER: multi_writer_id `4': Writing feature 2000 
Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer: A feature has arrived with 'fme_feature_type' of NO_ATTRS, but the feature type is not recognized. Halting translation
A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details
Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer: Translation aborted -- rerun specifying "Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer_START_TRANSACTION 5"
Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer: Closing `<connectionName>' . Write operation complete
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Feature output statistics for `MSSQL_ADO' writer using keyword `MSSQL_ADO_4':
                               Features Written
NO_ATTRS                                                                     1
dbo.<tableName>                                                           2571

Do you think it could be the same problem?

I have asked them to delete and create the Writer as advised in other answers. I will let you know if that works.

They are using FME Desktop 2018.1

A customer has just reported a similar issue. The SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer is returning this error:

It's not a dynamic process. The FeatureType that has to write exists in the Database and it's not called "NO_ATTRS". It even writes several features before stopping due to that error:

MULTI_WRITER: multi_writer_id `4': Started outputting features
FME Configuration: Using Named Connection values from '<connectionName>' for MSSQL_ADO_4
Creating writer for format: Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial
Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for writer named `MSSQL_ADO'
FME API version of module 'MSSQL_ADO' matches current internal version (3.8 2018060
Writer `MSSQL_ADO_4' of type `MSSQL_ADO' using group definition keyword `MSSQL_ADO_4_DE
Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer: Opening `<connectionName>' for write operation
Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer: Read 1 DEF line(s).  Found 31 attribute(s)
Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer: Trying to connect using SQL Server 2012 Native Client.
MULTI_WRITER: multi_writer_id `4': Writing feature 1000 
MULTI_WRITER: multi_writer_id `4': Writing feature 2000 
A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details
Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer: Translation aborted -- rerun specifying "Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer_START_TRANSACTION 5"
Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer: Closing `<connectionName>' . Write operation complete
Feature output statistics for `MSSQL_ADO' writer using keyword `MSSQL_ADO_4':
                               Features Written
NO_ATTRS                                                                     1
dbo.<tableName>                                                           2571

Do you think it could be the same problem?

I have asked them to delete and create the Writer as advised in other answers. I will let you know if that works.

They are using FME Desktop 2018.1

It didn't work :(

Any idea about why this is happening?