Skip to main content

I am trying to edit features (location) that are within a trace network from FME.

When editing in ArcGIS Pro I’m able to move features and have the network adjust (example: Move a point connected to a line and the line moves with the point) but I am unable to replicate this behaviour when running from FME. It simply moves the point feature away from the line. 

Notably I did have this working in a geometric network but since completing a recent upgrade and moving to the trace network in ArcGIS Pro it’s not showing the same behaviour.

Is it even possible to maintain the network structure using a trace network out of FME?

Probably not? The rules that define that network only exist within the geodatabase, and are potentially only respected by esri tools acting on that geodatabase. It likely relies on the user editing through ArcPro  frontend as the mechanism to enforce those rules.

That’s what I would expect, but then as you say it worked prior with a geometric network, so maybe there is a way to do normal updates in FME consistent with the network.

In any case, I prefer when the data describes its own connectivity through shared IDs, rather than relying on spatial connectivity as the truth as it is so easily broken.