Skip to main content

I'm trying to add a custom icon using the KMLStyler. The icon is saved on google drive. I used Attribute Manager to add a new attrubute called "Symbol_Icon" thats value is the google drive url link, then I used the KMLStyler to set the icon name to the newly created attribute. I'm getting the "red x" once I open the kml in google earth. Screenshots below, any suggestions?

Hi @mikeymess,

It could be a limitation of the KMLStyler that URL's of a internet drive are not yet supported.

If you download one icon and reference it from a local drive, does that work?

Hi @mikeymess,

It could be a limitation of the KMLStyler that URL's of a internet drive are not yet supported.

If you download one icon and reference it from a local drive, does that work?

@itay Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, it does work when I link to a local drive. I will be sharing this file with another organization and need the icon to be accessable to my end users as well. I assume if I save the file to kmz the symbol with carry over, correct? Is there anyway to share an icon with a kml rather than kmz?

I had a similar issue with a customer recently. I don't think we found a resolution at that time.

Thinking out loud, you can write to a KMZ and include the icon files, then refer to them with a local path. I used that technique for images referred to in infowindows, but perhaps it'd work with icon files too. I;ll have to dig up a workspace that does that.

@itay Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, it does work when I link to a local drive. I will be sharing this file with another organization and need the icon to be accessable to my end users as well. I assume if I save the file to kmz the symbol with carry over, correct? Is there anyway to share an icon with a kml rather than kmz?
I think you are better off by providing them a kmz:

https://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2016/03/custom-icons-google-earth.html