Skip to main content

Hi,

I'm trying to convert a DGN file wiht mixed geometries: most of them are read by FME; but not all. It seems like the geometrytype "smart solid/surfaces" isn't read by FME Desktop at all? Is it possible to read those geometrytypes? We really need them ;-)

Added this message are pictures of the same file showed in MicroStation and in FME Desktop. Also added is the DGN file.

@hnjo​ taking a look at your dataset, it looks like the smart solid geometry type is not able to be read in with FME at the moment.

We currently have a ticket open requesting this to be added to the DGN Reader. The ticket number is FMEENGINE-56309. We will notify you here when support for the smart solid geometry is added to a new release of FME Desktop. Thanks for your patience.

Hi @danminneyatsafe

Thanks for the answer.

I agree; And I hope it will be solved soon.

I even got dgn files from the MS appliation, OpenRoads Designer, that FME fails to open - when I try I simply get an error like this:

Error running translation.

Workspace generation failed. Parameter file was C:\\Users\\hnjo\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\FME_1672759246223_26892.

It really is a big issue for us because we depend on the files from MicroStation/OpenRoads - and we need to share these files within the organisation in GIS format for "the masses"...

I look forward to the solution and the notification ;-)

Hi @hnjo​,

As of FME 2023.2 (build 23731), you can now read Smart Solids using the DGN Reader! You can download the latest version of the FME 2023.2 beta from here: https://engage.safe.com/support/downloads/#beta

Give the new version a test and let me know if it works for you. Always happy to answer any questions or concerns you have.