Skip to main content

Hi everybody,

i have to import smal jpg-files (400-500 kb) with geometry into a postgis bytea column. the process is very slow. for example the time to import 40 images takes 10 minutes. the import with pglobeditor takes 2 seconds.

Please help what could be the cause.

Can you use the Postgis writer or Postgis Raster ? Can you share your logs ?

import-images-2-postgis.txt

Your process drops an existing table 'flug.images'... and creates table 'flug.images'...

Check this step:

1. Disable your index
  2. Create your table before the FME process.
  3. Start your process without drop/creation table flug.images

From the screenshot, looks like you are using the PostGIS write. Have you tried the PostGIS Raster writer [POSTGIS_RASTER] ?

I try the postgis writer for the points. the images are only attributes.

Your process drops an existing table 'flug.images'... and creates table 'flug.images'...

Check this step:

1. Disable your index
  2. Create your table before the FME process.
  3. Start your process without drop/creation table flug.images

Now, i have killed the index. Drop and Creation was only in my demo. But there was no effect. have a look to the new logfile.

import-images-2-postgis-without-index.txt

hallo,

it is possible to reproduce the problem with your own postgis ?

Slow writing of data as bytea with the PostGIS Writer is a known issue in FME. Development is working on improving it as PR# 57164.

Slow writing of data as bytea with the PostGIS Writer is a known issue in FME. Development is working on improving it as PR# 57164.

Hi Natalie, what is the current status on this bytea performance issue? @natalieatsafe

Hi @NatalieAtSafe, any further update on this? Has this now been resolved? Thanks.

Hi @NatalieAtSafe, any further update on this? Has this now been resolved? Thanks.

Following an online chat with Xiaomeng @Safe this PR is slated to be fixed in FME 2019.0