Solved

how to show the graphic from excel file ?

• 18 April 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

hello ,

i would like to save geometric data into excel file 

then I read the excel file in arcmap ,

It shows me the attribute tables and location of lines .

How to achieve it ?

fme 2021

thanks in advance 

icon

Best answer by jkr_wrk 18 April 2024, 10:06

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +36

First of all: why not use a geospatial format like shapefile or a personal geodatabase?

But if you really want to use Excel you can use a GeometryExtractor to convert the geometry to Geohash, GeoJSON, Well Known Text, GML, and many other formats.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@geomancer 

Thanks for reply 

the requirement is excel file .

i have tried ur method but it does not worked with me 

i have used geometry extractor to convert it to geojson or geohash then write. The output in excel file .

but when I check the output in Fme , it shows me only tables without graphics .

What I did wrong ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +36

The GeometryExtractor has an option to remove the geometry (which is the default setting), or keep the geometry.

When you open the Excel file in FME it will contain no geometry, but you can use the GeometryReplacer to convert the encoded geometry (GeoJSON or Geohash) to geometry.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

It is clear What u describe .

When someone use the excel file in arcmap .
will the graphic shows without problem ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +18

According to this page:

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/tables/adding-a-microsoft-excel-table-to-arcmap.htm

It won't.

But I did not test.

Userlevel 4
Badge +18

According to this page:

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/62384/importing-excel-point-and-line-data-into-arcgis-desktop-as-shapefile

You could write point data to an X and Y column, and use a function in ArcMap to make Point-data from your Excel file.

But…

Why would you write Excel if you want users to show it in ArcMap? Write Shapefile or other files that are made for Spatial data.

Userlevel 4
Badge +36

It is clear What u describe .

When someone use the excel file in arcmap .
will the graphic shows without problem ?

Not automatically, the user of Arcmap will have to convert the GeoJSON, Geohash, WKT or whatever back to geometry.

Which is exactly why I was surprised you want to use Excel instead of a spatial format.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thanks a lot for all information .

It is clear for me to use shape file or gdb better than excel file .

but they prefer excel file and they do not want to get shape file (old fashion )

Thanks a lot