Skip to main content

I have a feature layer with two tables in ArcGIS Online. It constantly receives new records from Survey123 survey. I'd like to join the tables together in FME them regularly import data to a new ArcGIS Online feature layer (with one table). Is this possible? Are there examples on how to do this? What transformers should I look at? Thanks.

Hi,

You probably need a combination of the following transformers:

• Creator (to start your workbench)
  • FeatureReader (to get the data from the Feature Layer used with survey 123)
  • FeatureMerger or FeatureJoiner (to combine the two table together into 1)
  • FeatureWriter (to write the joined data to the existing other Feature Layer)

You really want to have an existing feature layer because it will make your life a lot easier, as well as you probably not wanting to have a new Feature Layer for each update.

As for the "regularly" part of your question, it really depends on whether or not you are willing to rerun the workbench yourself. If not you will have to look into scheduling options on your pc, this is not really something that is FME specific. If you somehow have access to FME server you can upload your workbench to it and schedule it there, that way the workbench can run on a machine which is totally separate to your own pc.

If you want some more info on how to set up the feature reader/writer let me know.

Hi,

You probably need a combination of the following transformers:

• Creator (to start your workbench)
  • FeatureReader (to get the data from the Feature Layer used with survey 123)
  • FeatureMerger or FeatureJoiner (to combine the two table together into 1)
  • FeatureWriter (to write the joined data to the existing other Feature Layer)

You really want to have an existing feature layer because it will make your life a lot easier, as well as you probably not wanting to have a new Feature Layer for each update.

As for the "regularly" part of your question, it really depends on whether or not you are willing to rerun the workbench yourself. If not you will have to look into scheduling options on your pc, this is not really something that is FME specific. If you somehow have access to FME server you can upload your workbench to it and schedule it there, that way the workbench can run on a machine which is totally separate to your own pc.

If you want some more info on how to set up the feature reader/writer let me know.

Thanks for your response. I neglected to mention that I already have a workspace that joins the tables and writes data to an Excel file. I can re-use this workspace and write to a feature layer instead.

I just found this recent article on to write updates to an existing ArcGIS Online feature service. I think that I will go through this tutorial.

How do I write updates to an existing ArcGIS Online feature service?

https://community.safe.com/s/article/how-do-i-write-updates-to-an-existing-arcgis-onlin

I don't have access to FME Server. Once I get everything working, I'll need to determine scheduling options. It might be okay for me to manually run it. This wouldn't be ideal.

Thanks for your response. I neglected to mention that I already have a workspace that joins the tables and writes data to an Excel file. I can re-use this workspace and write to a feature layer instead.

I just found this recent article on to write updates to an existing ArcGIS Online feature service. I think that I will go through this tutorial.

https://community.safe.com/s/article/how-do-i-write-updates-to-an-existing-arcgis-onlin

I don't have access to FME Server. Once I get everything working, I'll need to determine scheduling options. It might be okay for me to manually run it. This wouldn't be ideal.

That is indeed the correct tutorial and you will most likely be able to reuse the existing workbench as a jump off point. The only extra tip I can give you is to double check your attribute names in the inspector just before the features are sent to the writer. If they don't match the attributes in your Feature Layer you will either get empty fields in your layer or the workbench will terminate. I have lost a lot of time over the years searching for some complicated problem that turned out to be a spelling mistake.

Thanks for your excellent advice. Unfortunately, I didn't fully understand the issues. I was generating a new Feature Layer. I spent quite a bit of time creating "friendly" long attribute names then when I created the layer, the attribute names were truncated to 31 characters and all the special characters (spaces, etc.) were replaced with underscores. My colleague started using the new layer (and attribute names). When I attempted to update it, it failed because most of the names didn't match. That was a learning experience! I renamed the names in FME with a RegEx search and replace. It's a bit of a mess.

Now, I'm trying to run my workspace once a day to keep it up-to-date, and I don't have FME Server. I posted a new thread on that topic.

https://community.safe.com/s/question/0D54Q00009TdtDPSAZ/automate-without-fme-server

Thanks.