Skip to main content

I have a folder with 92 LAS files, see screenshot with example of one LAS file: .

Which transformers and non-default settings are required to make these files into one or more FBX files? A direct reader/writer translation results in an empty FBX file.

Any help/suggestions/examples is much appreciated!

Hi @iksaterra,

The LAS data is a point cloud, but the FBX writer requires surface features. Please try using the PointCloudSurfaceBuilder transformer to generate surfaces from your point clouds before writing to FBX.

More information on this transformer can be found in our documentation.

Hi @daleatsafe

I tried using the PointCloudSurfaceBuilder transformer to generate surfaces but FME freezes when creating the surface (the .las file has 136 MB). Then, I tried to use the Meshbuilder transform which returns me the mesh on the rejected, from that used the fbx writer. however, the written FBx file is empty.

Would you have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @daleatsafe

I tried using the PointCloudSurfaceBuilder transformer to generate surfaces but FME freezes when creating the surface (the .las file has 136 MB). Then, I tried to use the Meshbuilder transform which returns me the mesh on the rejected, from that used the fbx writer. however, the written FBx file is empty.

Would you have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @gurgelph, thank you for your question. We will need more information to best assist you. Would you be able to share your .las file with us so we can take a closer look at it? You are also welcome to email me (alyssa.liu@safe.com) a link to download if the file exceeds the size limit for an attachment. Thanks!