Question

Geometry Challenge - Identify percentage of overlap (Lines)

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi All,

I’m working on an automation that needs to identify those lines that follow the geometry from another layer. The following screenshot explains what I need to do:

Red line follows a river (not exactly the same geometry but pretty close) and need to identify those red lines that follows the blue centerline….I was thinking maybe I need to calculate the percentage of overlap between red and blue?

There’s other locations where the red line only overlaps the blue lines for a little section so I can ignore those, see below

Any idea how to approach this?

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

To calculate the percent overlap I think you would probably want to use a LengthCalculator to get the initial red line length, split the red feature into overlaps and non-overlaps, and then use another LengthCalculator to measure the overlapping length. Then you can use those numbers to get the percent overlap.

You could use a Snapper on the red and blue lines to help clean them up. Alternatively you could buffer the blue line by a given tolerance amount, and then use the Clipper.

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi, I have a custom transformer on the Hub called the LineOnLineRelator which could help here. It’s intended for transferring attributes between parallel or similar line features, but it’ll also tell you what the overlap length is between the lines.