Skip to main content

I have a workspace that runs just fine on deskop, version 2019.2.

I publish this workspace to FME Server, version 2020.2 and I have two problems:

1. It is VERY slow. The whole workspace on desktop runs in 2.5 minutes. On Server, it runs for over 20 minutes. The part that failed, buffer and snipper, takes about 5 seconds to do on desktop with about 4000 records. When it fails on server, it has only processed 1000 records in the 20 minutes.
  2. It erred out with this cryptic error: 
856    FFS writer: Failed to open file '' for writing. Please ensure that you have sufficient privileges to write this file. If the file already exists, please ensure it is not open in another application
857    UnitSegmentCreator_Centerline_Input1589901888 Input Splitter (TeeFactory): Internal Error: Failed to build feature table
858    Closing the Geodatabase reader
859    Internal Error: Failed to build feature table

I'm not sure if the two are related. I would appreciate any help on how I can debug where the issue might be and how to fix it.

Other info regarding desktop and server

Local specs: 
16G RAM
64-bit OS
2.6GHz CPU
64G free space

Server specs: 
12G RAM
64-bit OS
2.4GHz CPU
24G free space

I'm not trying to write out anything at this point. The error seems to suggest some kind of internal table building error. But how/where can I get more info about it. But even if it does not error out, why is it running so slow? 

Yeah that's a pretty strange error - did you try with desktop 2020? It could be related to a lack of disk space combined with high memory use but I doubt it.

It could be a problem feature causing some crazy problem. Is it the same data on desktop and server?

Yeah that's a pretty strange error - did you try with desktop 2020? It could be related to a lack of disk space combined with high memory use but I doubt it.

It could be a problem feature causing some crazy problem. Is it the same data on desktop and server?

I might try desktop 2020 to see if it breaks on desktop too. Then I will downgrade server to 2019.2. I guess.

The data is the same on both desktop and server. reading from SDE

I would first make sure to define FME_TEMP (if not already done) and make 100% certain that the server process that's running the Core and Engine services have full rights to that folder.

If that still doesn't resolve the issue, consider forwarding the issue to Safe support through your reseller, including both the FME Desktop and Server logs, as well as the FME Server system logs.