Skip to main content
Question

FME is unable to write to an ESRI enterprise SDE database.

• 28 November 2012
  • 2 replies

FME is unable to write to an ESRI enterprise SDE database.  In the log file, FME says “An ArcGIS license is already checked out. The product checked out is 'ArcView'.”  How can I specify FME use and Arc Editor or Arc Info license?  The computer has ESRI installed. There is a concurrent license that is pointed to Arc Info.  At this point there are several available Arc Info licenses.

I havent checked this, but I assume that one computer can only use either an ArcEditor OR an ArcInfo license? What is used is selected in the ESRI License software. I assume that FME uses the same license - so it is now possible to have FME Use the ArcInfo license, while the ArcEditor on the same machine will not be able to use the ArcEditor license. I am sure someone else have more information about licensing and FME + ESRI. 
As SigTill said, you need to set the ESRI license level with the ESRI ArcGIS Administrator tool. This is the license that FME will use.

Depending on what you want to do, you might want to bare in mind the differences between the SDE30 and the SDE_Geodatabase writers