Skip to main content
Hi there,

This is the first time I'm attempting to write to an SDE database, and I'm encountering some hiccups.

1. If I use an SDE30 connection, everything works 100% according to the workspace, and despite it displaying that all 33079 my point features succesfully go to the writer (with the translation successful message) there is nothing in the database when I check in ArcCatalogue/Map. The feature class is not even created, never mind blank.

2. If I use GEODATABASE_SDE writer, I get the following error in FME, which also fails the translation:

Unable to create the table/feature class TUN_MN_TEST. When writing to a pre-9.2 Enterprise Geodatabase, a value of 0 is not appropriate for the GEODB_XYSCALE. Specify a number greater than 0

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

What makes this case even stranger, is that I got option 2 to work once. Without changing a single thing. It actually created the feature class and everything seemed fine, and when I tried to run it again (without changing anything at all) it gave the error again...

Any help would be awesome.

Regards,
Hello Robbie,

For 1. check the allowed geometries on the destination feature type in Workbench. If the geometry type is incorrect, a warning will be generated, but the end of the translation will say that the translation was succesful.

For 2. check if you are dropping the table. It is an option in the feature type settings. If you are dropping the table, then FME will try to create it with the settings provided, which if incorrect will cause the translation to fail. This is assuming that you've created the table correctly the first time.

I hope this if of help,

Ryan Cragg
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the help. My "drop table first" was indeed set to no, and it should have been yes. It seems however that the main issue was my user rights on the SDE connection, not FME itself. Luckily everything seems to be working as intended now.

Regards,