Skip to main content

I have a database of hundreds of assessment results for utilities. In FME, I have taken the utility coordinates from the database, joined into lines, sorted into 'pass' or 'fail' and organised by utility owner. This all works. I have done a microstation DGN writer for each e.g. electric 'pass', electric 'fail', gas 'pass' etc etc. I have also tried putting all outputs into one DGN writer. Neither gave me what I needed which is to have individual layers for each result and utility type, which can be switched on and off. I can't do a fanout (I dont think) because I need to fanout by an attribute and I dont have the results as attributes, but rather as sorted/styled data. Would I need to use an AttributeCreator, or is there a way in the DGN writer to get multiple layers in the DGN based on my sorted data? Thanks.

Hi @claire_wilson,

Could your share your Workspace or print?

Thanks,

Danilo

Hi @claire_wilson,

Could your share your Workspace or print?

Thanks,

Danilo

It is too big to attach - what is most useful - a screen shot? or reduce size of file?

Thanks!

It is too big to attach - what is most useful - a screen shot? or reduce size of file?

Thanks!

A screen shot :)

Hi @claire_wilson

you will definitely need to have an attribute attached to every feature with the name of the destination layer. The attribute can be created with AttributeCreator, StringConcatenator, or AtttributeManager (I am not sure what FME verison you are using, if it is an older FME you might not have AttributeManager). You can also use Text Editor to build the name of the feature type/level name right in Feature Type Parameters dialog.

Thank you for responses. See attached (too large to screenshot all four utility types, but they're all largely the same so I've done two). I have used a StringConcatenator to group results with asset owner. I am using FME 2017. Previously, in the old FME, I had set up my workspace in this exact way and it gave me a CAD layer per writer to the CAD. So I had elec pass, elec fail, elec_asset owner_pass, elec_asset owner_ fail etc layers. Now it only gives me the last writer I set up as an output

Hello @danilo_fme, @LenaAtSafe

You previously responded to this post. I am still having trouble with this issue. See attached screenshots of the way I have set up an AttributeCreator. I want a single CAD file, with the Electric_PASS, Electric_FAIL etc as individual layers in the CAD. Note I am writing to Microstation. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Claire

Hi @claire_wilson

I agree with @danilo_fme: your workspace should shed some light on this, so please share it with us if you can.

Based on the screenshots, I have some questions. Firs of all, how many DGN Writers do you have in your workspace? Do you plan to write all the data into a single dgn-file? If yes, you should have only one Writer (with as many feature types, or levels, as you need).

The other question is about Electric_PASS attribute: what values do you store in this attribute? Do you have several different electric utility feature types that pass? Every unique value in Electric_PASS attribute will result in a new destination dgn-file level.

If you rather need to separate electric features that pass from electric features that fail, you might want to have igds_level_name attribute with values electric_pass and electric_fail and use this attribute as a destination feature type name.

Hi @claire_wilson

I agree with @danilo_fme: your workspace should shed some light on this, so please share it with us if you can.

Based on the screenshots, I have some questions. Firs of all, how many DGN Writers do you have in your workspace? Do you plan to write all the data into a single dgn-file? If yes, you should have only one Writer (with as many feature types, or levels, as you need).

The other question is about Electric_PASS attribute: what values do you store in this attribute? Do you have several different electric utility feature types that pass? Every unique value in Electric_PASS attribute will result in a new destination dgn-file level.

If you rather need to separate electric features that pass from electric features that fail, you might want to have igds_level_name attribute with values electric_pass and electric_fail and use this attribute as a destination feature type name.

Thank you Lena, I have now had internal support which has solved my problem. Thank you for your time!