Skip to main content

Hello. So I'm currently having an issue with the excel reader and I'm not sure I'm missing something. If I drag and drop or add the dataset to the workspace and configure it, it will read correctly. In this case, I want it to start reading the data from row 6 (1 to 5 are the header) and go from there.

This works for the initial file, but if I change the source data to pick up a different file with the exact same format, the settings are somehow reset and it starts reading from row 1, resulting in no attributes or features being read. I've tried updating the reader feature types and changing the Microsoft Excel Parameters for it, and while it works when inspecting the data, when I run it, it goes back to missing. What I need is to be able to feed different datasets into this reader but all with the same format, so there's no need for it to be dynamic. However I can't understand why the parameters only work for the first file it reads, despite it being fine when I go into view source data.

I've also tried creating a preset and even setting it as default, using "current settings" in multiple file parameters, none of it seems to work, so when I want to update the reader with another file I have to create an entirely new one, and delete the other. Is there any solution to this? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Hi @lcvec,

When you are adding an Excel Reader for the first time, after configuring the parameters ensure that you also have set the Multiple File Parameters > Additional File Settings to "Use Current Settings".

This will ensure that when you change the source dataset, then the file will be read in with the same schema.

I understand you have tried this, but I'm also wondering how you are changing the source file. I would recommend not "Updating Feature Type", as this functionality would be to upgrade your reader for new functionality between versions and will be resetting the reader parameters.

Instead to change the file source, you'll want to change the source file from the navigator:

Hope this helps!

Andrea

Hi @lcvec,

When you are adding an Excel Reader for the first time, after configuring the parameters ensure that you also have set the Multiple File Parameters > Additional File Settings to "Use Current Settings".

This will ensure that when you change the source dataset, then the file will be read in with the same schema.

I understand you have tried this, but I'm also wondering how you are changing the source file. I would recommend not "Updating Feature Type", as this functionality would be to upgrade your reader for new functionality between versions and will be resetting the reader parameters.

Instead to change the file source, you'll want to change the source file from the navigator:

Hope this helps!

Andrea

Hi Andrea, thanks for your reply. It's a bit odd since it does work for a different reader I have, so I'm not sure what the problem is but it might have something to do with the file or the dataset itself? I'll have to investigate further for this particular reader but your answer works for the others, for now I'll just remove the file headers when saving them so it doesn't affect the rest of the work. I'll revisit the workspace in the future but for the time being the workaround works as well.

Hi @lcvec,

Hope this helps!

Andrea

Thanks @andreaatsafe for your answer, I was encountering the same issue and setting "Additional File Settings" to "Use Current Settings" solved it.

Best regards,

Rémi