Skip to main content
Question

Equivalent of the ArcGIS "Eliminate"

• 2 February 2013
  • 3 replies

Many thanks for the answer to my previous questions.

Another question: does FME have an equivalent of the ArcGIS "Eliminate" tool? (http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Eliminate/00170000005p000000/)

(Default) The ArcGIS Eliminate tool replaces the selected polygons with the neighbour with longest boundary.

(Using optional "ex_where_clause"), the Eliminate tool replaces polygons with the neighbour with longest boundary that doe not have a specified type.

The FME "SliverRemover" does the same as the (Default) Eliminate, but does not have this "ex_where_cause" option.

Application: I want to eliminate small holes and replace them with the neighbour with longest boundary except it this neighbour is a road, then it should choose the second longest shared boundary.

How should I do this withFME?

Thanks for your reply.

Wouldn't filtering out the roads before using the SliverRemover do what you want?
Thanks for your reply Jeroen.

Filtering out the roads before using the SliverRemover does not address my needs.

The category of polygons that should not be removed and the category of polygons that should not fill are not necessarily the same.

That's why my problem is not easy at all.
I think Jeroen has the right idea, filter the roads within your workflow so they bypass the SliverRemover then re-integrate them into the workflow once that is complete.