Skip to main content

From this Question: ESRI Shape files with UTF-8 encoded field names ?

The issue is more serious in FME Cloud (FME Server/Engine on Linux).

Most users in Japan use Shapefile datasets with the cp932 (Shift JIS - system encoding in Japanese Windows). However, since FME Cloud always treats attribute names of Shapefile datasets with UTF-8 (system encoding in Linux), all the datasets with Japanese attribute names cannot be processed with FME Cloud. MapInfo (MITAB) seems to have similar issue too.

I'm afraid that the problem above might be the tip of the iceberg - i18n issues on Linux FME engine.

Hi Takashi, I was talking with the team about this issue a couple days ago. I agree with you that this is another important one we need to address. I've raised it just now again. Thanks for alerting us.

Hi Takashi, I was talking with the team about this issue a couple days ago. I agree with you that this is another important one we need to address. I've raised it just now again. Thanks for alerting us.

Hi @daleatsafe, thanks for your consideration.

Recently I opened FME demo site using FME Cloud. I intend to introduce the capability of FME to Japanese potential customers widely.

Since Shapefile is a very popular format, I prepared a few demonstrations using Shapefile as the destination format, but they cannot be published now unfortunately because of the encoding issue.

Hope the issues can be resolved in the near future.