Skip to main content

Hello,

I’m working in FME Form (both tested in 2023.2 and 2024.0 ) with DGN files contaning 3D objects in Smart Solid format.

I’m looking for some possibility in controlling solid to mesh decimation process. At the moment I can’t find any way to change default way how FME Reader create mesh from solid objects.

For example some circular object is decimated as 8 vertices.

I’ve already tested Stroking Tolerance without any effect

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME-Form-Documentation/FME-Form/Workbench/Stroking_Tolerance.htm

and “Number of interpolated curve vertices” in DGN Reader parametrs.

Any suggestions? 

Hi @boron013 

Just to confirm, are you wanting more than 8 vertices to have a smoother, more accurate curve? 

Have you enabled the Preserve Curves parameter in the DGN Reader parameters? There's a chance this could impact the output and create a smoother curve.

Would you be able to send some sample data over so we can take a closer look?

Crystal 

Just to confirm, are you wanting more than 8 vertices to have a smoother, more accurate curve? 

Exactly

Have you enabled the Preserve Curves parameter in the DGN Reader parameters? There's a chance this could impact the output and create a smoother curve.

Haven’t mentioned it in my post, but already tested it without any impact on result geometry.

You can find sample SmartSolid DGN in attachment

Hi @boron013,

I’m sorry, but the resolution of the mesh generated from the SmartSolid is not currently controllable within FME. I have created an enhancement request to add a reader parameter to let users control this resolution (FMEENGINE-82813), and we will notify you when this has been implemented.