Skip to main content
Converting ESRI shape file to coverage,

I applied the tool “feature class to coverage” available in the ArcGIS to convert shape file to coverage but I got the error below:

How can the shape file be converted in FME to Coverage? The result is expected to take the following format:

Thank you

Best

Jamal
Hi Jamal,

If you are using FME Esri Edition, you can use the Esri ArcInfo Coverage writer to write coverage dataset directly.

In FME Professional Edition, you can use the Esri ArcInfo Export (E00) writer to write archived coverage data file (*.e00). In that case, you need to convert e00 file to coverage dataset with a tool in your ArcToolBox before using.

ArcToolBox > Conversion > To Coverage > Import from E00

Since conversion with your ArcCatalog has failed, I suspect that input geometries are not clean. If the geometries were not clean, FME writer might also fail or report warnings. When the writer fails or displays warnings, consider validating input geometries.

Takashi
Thank you Takashi for the help,

At the moment I’m using FME pro.

The data is clean and the shp file can be converted to coverage with the approach belwo

1. The shp file in converted to *.tab using MapInfo software

2. The *.tab is converted to *.e00 using the MapInfo software

3. The *.e00 is converted to coverage using the ArcGIS

4. ArcInof workstation can successfully detects the coverage

What I wanted to know if the FME pro can convert the shp file directly to coverage.

By the way, I tried to convert the shp file to *.e00 but I found out that I’m required to select one of the allowed geometries. Then which geometry type should I choose to convert the shp file to *.e00?

FME Pro. doesn't support to write Coverage directly. In your environment (FME Pro. and ArcGIS), I think that writing E00 and converting it to Coverage is the quickest solution.

Regarding allowed geometries of the E00 writer, try "e00_poly".

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_ReadersWriters/Default.htm#e00/Geometry_Composition.htm

Thank you very much Takashi for the help. It works fine.

The *.shp file is converted to *.e00 by the FME

The *.e00 is converted to covrage by the ArcGIS