Skip to main content

Hello, I'm trying to clip a dxf file with a shapefile into sections and export back into separate dxf files. I'm using the clipper but I'm unsure whether to merge individual feature types on import and how to retain all the layers on export.

Hi @lladefian,

I would recommend using a single merged feature type for this as it will simplify things. On the DXF writer feature type, you can use a Feature type Fanout to ensure all of the input layers that are read into the workspace are written to the output. Layer names are stored in a format attribute called fme_feature_type (in addition to autocad_layer) so you can use a feature type fanout by this attribute in the layer name parameter.

I have attached a sample workspace that should help you get going with this - gives an example of a feature type fanout and a dataset fanout.

I would highly recommend checking out the fanout article linked above as it goes into greater detail about how to fanout both feature types and datasets (or both!). There are additional resources for Fanouts in the FME Desktop Advanced Training in case you are interested in learning more.

Hope this helps!

Fanout_Example.fmwt

Hi @lladefian,

I would recommend using a single merged feature type for this as it will simplify things. On the DXF writer feature type, you can use a Feature type Fanout to ensure all of the input layers that are read into the workspace are written to the output. Layer names are stored in a format attribute called fme_feature_type (in addition to autocad_layer) so you can use a feature type fanout by this attribute in the layer name parameter.

I have attached a sample workspace that should help you get going with this - gives an example of a feature type fanout and a dataset fanout.

I would highly recommend checking out the fanout article linked above as it goes into greater detail about how to fanout both feature types and datasets (or both!). There are additional resources for Fanouts in the FME Desktop Advanced Training in case you are interested in learning more.

Hope this helps!

Fanout_Example.fmwt

awesome, thanks I was wondering where all those CAD layers went. I'll give that a shot.