Skip to main content

I have a published parameter of type "Choice with alias (Multiple)".
In this parameter, I import all the towns, departments, regions... of France
(like 40 000 lines) from a postgre table.

When I run the workbench in FME Desktop, it takes a little time to filter the
values according to what I'm writing and to select them but it can be ok.

But in FME Cloud, it's very very very long and I can't really use it.

I've try with a list without the towns (7 500 lines), it's better but still not
usable....

Have you got an idea for my problem ?

I know it's a big list for a parameter but it's the goal of my workbench. I have
a table of 19 000 000 lines and I have to do a filter according to selecting
territory by the user.

Thank you

Damien

Hi @damien

I think with that many values in a web form it's going to be hard to get a decent user experience on any web page. My suggestion is to implement some kind of pre-selection.

My idea would be to create several helper workspaces that will preselect groups of your values to reduce the total number of values in your final selection. For example, you could create your own HMTL web form with a single parameter and on change of the first selection field, which groups your target values, a workspace gets triggered that returns the values of the selected group. A static JSON file storing the values & groups would be a good source for populating the selection fields. These values can again populate a new parameter for a value selection.

Depending on how easy your values can be grouped you would add additional fields that run another preselection workspace. Once you reduced the values to a smaller number you can select the actual value you want to submit your workspace with and add a button that triggers the workspace.

The FME Server REST & JavaScript API should have all building blocks available that are needed for this:

https://playground.fmeserver.com/

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_REST/apidoc/v3/index.html

The challenge here is that you would need to create your own HTML web page and probably write some JavaScript code, but if you are comfortable with that I would recommend this approach.

Hi @damien

I think with that many values in a web form it's going to be hard to get a decent user experience on any web page. My suggestion is to implement some kind of pre-selection.

My idea would be to create several helper workspaces that will preselect groups of your values to reduce the total number of values in your final selection. For example, you could create your own HMTL web form with a single parameter and on change of the first selection field, which groups your target values, a workspace gets triggered that returns the values of the selected group. A static JSON file storing the values & groups would be a good source for populating the selection fields. These values can again populate a new parameter for a value selection.

Depending on how easy your values can be grouped you would add additional fields that run another preselection workspace. Once you reduced the values to a smaller number you can select the actual value you want to submit your workspace with and add a button that triggers the workspace.

The FME Server REST & JavaScript API should have all building blocks available that are needed for this:

https://playground.fmeserver.com/

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_REST/apidoc/v3/index.html

The challenge here is that you would need to create your own HTML web page and probably write some JavaScript code, but if you are comfortable with that I would recommend this approach.

Hi Gerhard.

I was hoping for a simpler solution. 🙂 Because I'm not comfortable with web development... 🙂 But thank you for your reply.

But my co-worker for an other project without FME, has already developed something similar in a web page. I know he had the same issue at start with the same list. But with a sql request he has found a solution to not have latency. And he don't need to create group. He can keep the 40000 lines in one list.

So maybe we will develop with him a specific web page for this project. Use his form to select the territory and trigger the workspace.

But like we start with FME Cloud, we need time to test that...