Skip to main content

I'm on Windows 7 and I have a workspace (FME Desktop 2017.1.0.0, build 17539) that connects to a SQL Server enterprise gdb to export a handful of feature classes to a file gdb. The enterprise gdb is not versioned and is located on a server within my network, though not in my office, and I'm exporting to a file gdb on my machine. It's been working fine up until about a month ago, when I started getting errors.

This is the error I get when running the workspace: "Could not open the Enterprise Geodatabase. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147216100'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {FDO error: -2147216100} Please ensure the connection parameters are correct (server=`server_name', instance=`instance_name', user=`username', password=`***', database=`database', version=`SDE.DEFAULT')"

I can use the same parameters and connect to the gdb in ArcCatalog and ArcMap and can view feature classes within it. I've tried using a connection file and also using direct connect with the legacy sde reader and I get this error: "Failed to obtain any schemas from reader 'SDE30' from 1 datasets. This may be due to invalid datasets or format accessibility issues due to licensing, dependencies, or module loading."

I thought the gdb password might have expired, so I had it reset, but that didn't help. My co-worker can use the same parameters and connect to the gdb in FME (he's using Desktop 2017.1.2.1, build 17725).

The only thing I can think of, is that right about the time it stopped working, I upgraded from ArcGIS Pro 2.0 to Pro 2.1 (I've also installed the patch so now I'm at 2.1.2). My co-worker has Pro 2.0. Aside from the difference in FME versions, I can't think of anything that would be different between us, and the fact that this workspace was working with my current version of FME and then stopped tells me that it's not FME that's the issue. Would there be any reason that Pro would be messing this up? Any other ideas on what could be wrong?

Can you connect using the SQL Server non-spatial reader?

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of FME?

Have you only installed ArcGIS Pro, or do you also have ArcGIS Desktop installed? If so, which version?

Regarding compatibility between FME and ArcGIS, this is the most important article to read:

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1517/notes-on-fme-and-esri-versions-and-compatibility.html

I can connect using the SQL Server non-spatial reader, yes.

I'm using 64-bit FME, and I have both Pro and Desktop installed. I'm on Desktop 10.5.

I've looked at that article, and the only thing I'm not 100% sure about is if I have the 64-bit Background Geoprocessing installed. I've seen that in a few other articles as something to consider. But again, this workspace was working before, so it's hard to believe it'd be because of something to do with that. If I had it or not, either way, it wouldn't have changed in the last month or so.

I can connect using the SQL Server non-spatial reader, yes.

I'm using 64-bit FME, and I have both Pro and Desktop installed. I'm on Desktop 10.5.

I've looked at that article, and the only thing I'm not 100% sure about is if I have the 64-bit Background Geoprocessing installed. I've seen that in a few other articles as something to consider. But again, this workspace was working before, so it's hard to believe it'd be because of something to do with that. If I had it or not, either way, it wouldn't have changed in the last month or so.

If you're using 64-bit FME, consider trying with the 32-bit version to see if that makes a difference, which should narrow it down a bit.

It seems that ArcGIS Pro 2.1 only supports SQL Server going back to 2012, and I think ours is 2011, which explains why I have been unable to connect with 64-bit FME and Pro. I did download FME 2018.1 32-bit, and that ran successfully and without issue. Kind of annoying that I need both versions, but until we upgrade SQL, I think that's what I'll have to do. Thank you for the responses, I appreciate it!