Question

Sending an HTTP Response to a Webhook in Automations

• 2 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

Is there any way possible to send an HTTP Response after receiving a webhook trigger in FME Flow Hosted Automations?

I am attempting to set up an automation that runs in response to webhooks coming from Monday.com, however before I can start configuring the actual webhooks, monday.com requires verification that I have control of the endpoint. I need to do this by having the platform send a JSON challenge to the endpoint URL, which must then be responded to with an identical JSON POST body. I believe it must also be returned with a status of 200. Documentation on setting up monday.com webhooks here.

I have tried to accomplish this by adding a workspace after the webhook trigger to pull the IP address that the challenge request was sent from from the HTTP headers, and then using an HTTPCaller to send a POST request with the JSON challenge body to that IP address, but this is not working - the request just times out.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Hmmm, my suggestion was also going to be to add a workspace afterwards.

Could there be a firewall in place that is blocking the outbound connection? The fact that its a time out suggests the call is not reaching the server. If the POST was configured incorrectly, i'd expect to see a response error from the receiving server

Badge +4

Hmmm, my suggestion was also going to be to add a workspace afterwards.

Could there be a firewall in place that is blocking the outbound connection? The fact that its a time out suggests the call is not reaching the server. If the POST was configured incorrectly, i'd expect to see a response error from the receiving server

I don't believe there would be a firewall preventing the call from reaching the server - I have been able to get the monday.com webhooks working through other integration services like Microsoft Power Automate which have out of the box HTTP response actions.

I'm thinking maybe the issue is due to differences between the monday.com service sending a request and directly getting back a response versus sending a request and then getting a new HTPP request. But am am not sure what the technical difference between the two could be, or if there's a way to work around this either within the FME Flow automation itself, through additional steps in a workspace, or anything else I might be able to do.

This would really just need to be something I run once, a one time verification step, in order to prove that I have ownership/control over the endpoint URL, after which I can start receiving the webhooks as normal and build out my workspace to handle the actual requests.