Skip to main content

Was previously running Windows 10 Pro build version 1803, until yesterday when Windows decided to update me from build version 1803 to build version 1809. This update seemingly has deleted FME Desktop application, though the other FME application such as Data Inspector and Quick Translator are still present.

I launched FME Licensing Assistant 2018.1 and tried to enter in my Home Use License serial number into the Single-Fixed-License field. But it returned this error.

""Invalid trial activation code

This trial activation code has already been used to generate a license. If you wish to obtain a new trial activation code, please visit www.safe.com/trial.""

The license if valid for one year from 09/07/2018. So my license isn't expired either. I also tried pointing the FME Licensing Assistant 2018.1 to C:\\ProgramData\\Safe Software\\FME\\Licenses since the license file still exists. That returned "License not valid on this computer"

So I'm at a total loss, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Charles

Hi @charles,

Sorry this happened to you. There are a couple of things going on here:

1) Some windows 10 updates have been known to change the FME registration key, which ties your license to your machine, and this invalidates the license. This has been resolved in FME 2019- the release candidate is available here: safe.com/beta and will prevent future windows changes from breaking your license.

2) home use license codes are single use, so they can only be used to generate a license file once. That's why you are getting the invalid trial activation code message.

Can you please reapply for another home use license, noting in your application that is a replacement for your invalidated license?

Thanks!

Cat

Hi @charles,

Sorry this happened to you. There are a couple of things going on here:

1) Some windows 10 updates have been known to change the FME registration key, which ties your license to your machine, and this invalidates the license. This has been resolved in FME 2019- the release candidate is available here: safe.com/beta and will prevent future windows changes from breaking your license.

2) home use license codes are single use, so they can only be used to generate a license file once. That's why you are getting the invalid trial activation code message.

Can you please reapply for another home use license, noting in your application that is a replacement for your invalidated license?

Thanks!

Cat

@catatsafe Thank you for the very helpful how to steps!

I had one final question since you recommended downloading the FME 2019 beta. Should I completely uninstall all remnants of the current FME version I have before installing the FME 2019 beta? Or will the fme-desktop-b192240win-x64.msi installer remove the existing FME version on install?

Thanks

Charles

@catatsafe Thank you for the very helpful how to steps!

I had one final question since you recommended downloading the FME 2019 beta. Should I completely uninstall all remnants of the current FME version I have before installing the FME 2019 beta? Or will the fme-desktop-b192240win-x64.msi installer remove the existing FME version on install?

Thanks

Charles

Glad to help @charles!

I recommend 1 of 2 options for getting an updated version of FME.

1) do an in-place replacement ( the new installer will ask if you want to remove your existing version).

2) do a side by side installation, by picking a new directory to install FME during the install process ( you will end up with both versions on your machine).

If you do a complete removal, you will likely lose your license and need to apply for yet another activation code.

Cheers!