Skip to main content

At the moment we are dealing with not enough licenses, part of the problem is naturally to buy new licenses, however sometimes users have their FME workbench session open for a long time, while they are not doing anything at all in the FME workbench. So I think it would partly solve the problem of not enough licenses, if inactive FMe desktop workbenches are closed down after a certain duration. Is something like that possible to configure for the users of FME desktop. It would be nice, if the changes made are saved automatically and no changes made are lost.

That's not possible.

Floating licences are handled through FlexLM, there's a bit of information in the FME documentation on monitoring license usage. You can use the FlexLM command line tools, like lmutil, to do a bit more. There doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation easily findable online, @mark2atsafe​ do you have some by any chance?

I know it's possible to kick specific users, but I can't seem to find the command.

The only documents I can find are the same as Hans (Red Geographics). There are a couple of options here, I think...

• If users are leaving FME open overnight, then do a shutdown of the license server overnight. I see an "lmdown" option in lmutils, and I think lmgrid is how to start it again.
  • I believe the "lmremove" option will let you stop a particular license session.
  • File an idea for an enhancement request for FME to allow this
  • Ask on community.flexera.com