Skip to main content

I'm having the following issue. The FME server engine can't access ESRI license in order to read / write to GDB. Although the ESRI license is clearly available (I can open and use ESRI products on the host machine). License type is set to Floating (concurrent) and borrowed for 30 days. Error message for SDE writer is:

The Esri Product license 'ArcInfo' is unavailable because all licenses of this type are currently in use. Unable to perform licensing related tasks. Please ensure that ArcGIS is correctly installed.

And for GDB message looks like:

An ArcGIS license is already checked out. The product checked out is 'ArcInfo' . Installed ArcGIS version is '?.?' Unable to connect to the File Geodatabase at '[some_location]'. Make sure the correct filename was specified, and that the geodatabase wasn't saved with a newer version of ArcGIS than the one installed locally. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147220952'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {}

Any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix this? Maybe FME is having some problem to access borrowed ESRI license?

Yes, that would be my guess too. Can you try it with an un-borrowed license? (which of course won't be possible if you can't reach the license server right now...)

My guess is what FME checks for free license on the ESRI Licensing server, founds no available license and not use the locally made license file to go on.

As I remember, early there was no issue then ussing un-borrowed floating license, except when all licences were in use.

It would be great if someone from Safe Software can confirm this is the case.

The log refers to a ArcInfo license. Did you check the license type you borrowed?

Off course I don't know what kind of data you are trying to write and if you are using a template or existing database with e.g. relationship classes, but that could be a source of the error as well.

Another aspect you can check, is which ArcGIS application FME uses. Especially if you have both Map and Pro installed, FME can have issues fetching the right license.

The log refers to a ArcInfo license. Did you check the license type you borrowed?

Off course I don't know what kind of data you are trying to write and if you are using a template or existing database with e.g. relationship classes, but that could be a source of the error as well.

Another aspect you can check, is which ArcGIS application FME uses. Especially if you have both Map and Pro installed, FME can have issues fetching the right license.

The borrowed license type is Advanced. FME is writing quiet simple polygonal data without any relationships, domains, etc. I have installed ArcGIS for Desktop only.

The other thing to remember is that you should only be using ArcGIS Server on the FME machine, unless you have an ELA. When dealing with licensing issues, login as the FME engine user and verify that you can open ArcGIS that way. If you do it through your own account, it may work, but won't verify whether or not the FME user actually has access to it.