Skip to main content
Question

Environment variable specifying temp directory when installing FME

• 10 October 2017
  • 3 replies

I want to install the latest FME version, but (I assume to store temporary installation files) it tries to get acces to a location I do not have access to. I added FME_TEMP, but (for this purpose) does not make sense. Also modified TEMP and TMP environment variables to a directory I definitely have access to, but that also didn't help. Which environment variable is used to specify the temporary directory to store the installation files?

If you mean for the installation of FME, I believe you'll need local admin privileges for that.

Based on your question, it seems that's not the case?

I guess I don't have local admin privilege. I got the message there wouldn't be enough space on some drive or I wouldn't have access to that location (this one's the problem I think) to store the temp files in. So I thought: why not point FME to a location where I have access to? But you think that also wouldn't solve the problem since I seem not to be allowed to install software anyway? Isn't then the message (not enough space) a little confusing?

I guess I don't have local admin privilege. I got the message there wouldn't be enough space on some drive or I wouldn't have access to that location (this one's the problem I think) to store the temp files in. So I thought: why not point FME to a location where I have access to? But you think that also wouldn't solve the problem since I seem not to be allowed to install software anyway? Isn't then the message (not enough space) a little confusing?

I don't know the specifics of the FME installer, but having worked with and developed installers before I can say that it can be difficult for the installer to distinguish between insufficent rights and insufficient resources. The problem is that there's an almost infinite ways you can configure security through policies etc and it's not always possible for a program running as non-admin to understand the underlying causes for an error.

I would strongly recommend only running the FME installer with local admin privileges.