Skip to main content

Hello everyone

In a project I'm working on, we use the 2021 version and the results of the processes are stored on a disk so that the user can download those results to their personal computer using the URL; for example:

https://<url>/download/results/110096.zip

As we understand it, download is like an alias of the path on the disk and Results is a directory on the disk, for example the results are in G:\FME\Results and 110096 is a compressed file with the results

These results must remain on that disk for 3 days so that the user has the opportunity to download them, but the problem is that due to the size of the results files, the disk fills up and the processes fail

We have another disk with more space. How could we change it so that the results are saved on that other disk and users have access to download them?

The person who did the configuration no longer works for our company but told me that to change disks it was only necessary to "expose" the directories of that disk in the Tomcat configuration.

We do not have much knowledge of Server administration.

I appreciate in advance any help you can give me

Hi @gjaguilar,

Can you tell me how you are generating this link? Is this link being created using workspace app with the Data Download service? If you so, you can change the FME_TEMP environmental variable to a directory with more space. Here is some documentation with instructions on how to do this: https://support.safe.com/hc/en-us/articles/25407446479373-Setting-a-temporary-file-location-for-FME-to-use-via-the-FME-TEMP-environment-variable

Let me know if that helps!

Hi @timatsafe 

The problem I have is that I do not know how that Link is created, what I am sure of is not adjusting the FME_TEMP environment variable.

The FME_TEMP variable was pointing to C.\Temp and in this directory the FME Server created the temporary files but then they were deleted, I changed it to F:\Temp due to space problems as well.

What the administrator who is not in the company now told me is that in the Tomcat settings you have to expose a directory on a disk.

Thanks

@gjaguilar I don’t think it would be as simple as change the tomcat settings. The placement of the Flow Share folder is used in configurations in lots of places.

Hi everyone

Investigating I found that the download link for users is somehow built from Tomcat.

In my case in this directory

C:\Program Files\FMEServer\Utilities\tomcat\webapps\clmsdatadownload\WEB-INF\conf there is a propertiesFile.properties file.

In the content of this file I found the path from where users download the results

# RESULT_DIR - This is the directory where transformation results are stored.
RESULT_DIR=G:/FME/Results

It seems that this replaces or overwrites the default value that is in
C:\Program Files\FMEServer\Utilities\tomcat\webapps\fmedatadownload\WEB-INF\conf\propertiesFile.properties.

I don't know if just changing, for example, the value of RESULT_DIR=G:/FME/Results to RESULT_DIR=E:/FME/Results is enough, I assume that the FME Server would have to be restarted

I also found in the directory
C:\Program Files\FMEServer\Utilities\tomcat\webapps\clmsdatadownload\WEB-INF a web.xml file
and in the directory
C:\Program Files\FMEServer\Utilities\tomcat\webapps\fmedatadownload\WEB-INF another web.xml file

Both files are the same and contain:

<servlet>
<description>This servlet starts a job for FMEServer and returns a link to where the resulting file can be downloaded</description>
<display-name>Data Download</display-name>
<servlet-name>fmedatadownload</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>COM.safe.webservices.filedownload.FileDownloadServlet</servlet-class>
<load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
</servlet>

I understand that clmsdatadownload is the name of a servelet but it is not referenced in the web.xml file

I would appreciate any help you can give me

Be aware that the solution is out of the scope of the FME Software. Making directories available from the internet is the scope of software like Tomcat.

It could be there are obstacles writing to a different location with FME Server because the lack of rights to write in certain directories. That would be in scope.

But of course you can ask the question within this forum because we all needed to figure out a solution to make downloads available to our end-users.

Be aware the solution could have safety issues, especially if you don't know what you are doing. Maybe you can write to a sharepoint and give users access to that location?

Thanks for your comment

I think what I need is within the scope of FME Software.

In the FME Flow Administrator's Guide (version 2023.1 updated August 2023) I found a reference to propertiesFile.properties.

For example, the properties file for the Data Download Service is at
<FMEFlowDir>\Utilities\tomcat\webapps\fmedatadownload\WEB INF\conf\propertiesFile.properties

page 315, Optimizing FME Flow

Unfortunately there is no further detail, as I was told this falls within the scope of FME Flow Administration