Skip to main content
Question

Attempting to Clip 1000+ Feature Classes in 100 Geodatabases

• 5 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi guys,

I have put together a FME list which generated I have 1000 feature classes after I located 100 geodatabases.

These 100 geodatabases are all in one folder.

I am just wondering if there is a easy way to clip this data to one standard. So clipper is one file which i want all 1000 feature classes to clip to.

Is there a quick and easy way to clip all 1000 feature classes and then output to exactly same featureclass and geodatabase name? I can do this by selecting schema and then clipping it but struggling to ensure the output is the same as the input in terms of geodatabase name/featureclass name and fields..

Should be pretty doable with a dynamic reader writer combo to preserve the schemas along with a Clipper (Set to single clipper mode). You can use a WorkspaceRunner to specify the input geodatabase and run in batch mode - you can use the PATH reader to get the file path for the WorkspaceRunner.

The FeatureReader could also be used with the Clipper feature as a spatial filter which will reduce the number of features read into FME. This might be the better option.

Let is know if you get stuck anywhere​

Should be pretty doable with a dynamic reader writer combo to preserve the schemas along with a Clipper (Set to single clipper mode). You can use a WorkspaceRunner to specify the input geodatabase and run in batch mode - you can use the PATH reader to get the file path for the WorkspaceRunner.

The FeatureReader could also be used with the Clipper feature as a spatial filter which will reduce the number of features read into FME. This might be the better option.

Let is know if you get stuck anywhere​

That is great, thanks for sharing. I will have a think about this, if it is clever enough to pick up all 100 geodatabases that would make my life a lot easier 🙂

That is great, thanks for sharing. I will have a think about this, if it is clever enough to pick up all 100 geodatabases that would make my life a lot easier 🙂

Yeah should be able to. FME will keep track of the Schema, geometry type and Feature​ type name. There might be small differences so you'll want to run a few small test runs