Solved

Snipper Transformer - why won't it always snip from both ends of a polyline?

• 7 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I have a rail network, featuring multiple polylines. I need to snip 50m from the ends of each line.

Using the Snipper transformer, I use the Distance (Value) mode. The Starting location is 50, the Ending Location is the length of the line -100 (accounting for the 50 already removed at the Starting Location... maybe?!).

SnipperThe results are mixed: A dead straight line has 50m removed from each end, this is what I want.

Any other shape of line only removes the starting 50m, but NOT the end, as shown by the red "X" below. The blue lines indicate the Remnants.Snipper resultsWhat am I doing wrong? Can anyone help please?

icon

Best answer by dustin 7 February 2023, 16:09

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

You will need to use @Length() where you now have @Value(SHAPE_length). So it would be @Length()-50 for the ending location.

Badge +2

You will need to use @Length() where you now have @Value(SHAPE_length). So it would be @Length()-50 for the ending location.

Oh I seeeeeee! Yes that works, thank you. Take a bow.

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

You should only need to specify 50 not 100, but either way you should see 2 remnants for each line snipped.

Are there any warnings in the log? Along the lines of

@Snip (or FMELine::snip) was given a range of (20,120), which is out of bounds for a line length of 100. Snapping params to closest valid value.

Are any of the lines doubling back on themselves?

Badge +2

You should only need to specify 50 not 100, but either way you should see 2 remnants for each line snipped.

Are there any warnings in the log? Along the lines of

@Snip (or FMELine::snip) was given a range of (20,120), which is out of bounds for a line length of 100. Snapping params to closest valid value.

Are any of the lines doubling back on themselves?

Thank you. @dustin​  answered it just now. I was using the wrong syntax. Once I'd used @length rather than @Value(Shape_Length) it worked a treat. And yes, I use 50 and -50 now.