Skip to main content

I have a client who is requesting a feature in a workbench that I am unsure how to implement for them.

They have asked for an ability to select which data to run after it has been read into the workbench, preferably with a drop-down menu or a tick box. The data coming in would be a multi-site .IFC file, and they are wanting to be able to choose only a specific site and run only that data. I know that to enable that, all data would need to be read, but how do I make it so that they can then easily choose which data to run without having to modify something like a dynamic filter each time?

If I understand correctly you want FME to check what options someone could pick and then present these options to the end-user to pick, like a published parameter with options.

I think what you want to do is very difficult with FME.

Most of the time we use some kind of Form in front of FME to collect the values to choose and let a separate FME workbench fill this form with options.

Then your main FME Workbench can accept whatever value and run the correct task if the value exists as a legal option.

This is little bit of a weird question. Are you suggesting they want to first run the workspace when the whole dataset and then run it again with just a subset?

Do you have any more specifies about the required filter you’d need to put in. You mention that it would be Site based - in the workspace what would a site based filter look like?

As I read it, there is a folder with multiple files and growing. And they want the user to be able to select 1 of the files to process.

And the multiple files could be folders/project-paths/element-types or something else. But how many and what they are named is changing. While the user must be presented with a list of the current values, before running the main workbench.

But I might be wrong.

From what I understand based on the Brief that we were given, they would load a file that may have multiple job sites at different physical addresses. They then want an option after the reader, but before the bulk of the workbench, to select only entries that match a particular job site/address to process through the rest of the workbench.

I have no idea if this is even possible, but my first instinct would be some way of running the file through a process to sort the data by site, then hold it until a choice is made, possibly with the use of a second workbench and a workspacerunner.

We have a list of the sites, but I’m not even sure if this could be implemented without the files, or at least placeholder files.

Use server apps and two workspaces. The first one reads the data, then returns HTML with all the options/entries/job sites listed. Every option should be made into a hyperlink with the proper parameters set, that then kicks of the second workspace for the bulk work on the specific entry/job site.