Solved

SDE Feature Reader issue in 2023.2 - strange behavior on Feature Readers for SDE connections configured in a previous version of FME

• 19 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

When reviewing an old workspace in FME Form 2023.2, I noticed that if I opened a Feature Reader or Feature Writer that previously had an SDE connection file path referenced in the connection parameters that the parameter was now blank. 

• If no changes are made, the workspace runs to completion as normal. No errors are thrown and no transformers are marked as “incomplete” in the navigator pane. This tells me that those pathways are stored somewhere.
  • This does not appear to be an issue with other data types like csv, xls, or file geodatabases. These file types used in a feature reader all have their connection file parameter populated when opened in 2023.2.
  • This does not appear to be an issue if a Reader or Writer is used rather than Feature Reader or Feature Writer transformers. A Reader or Writer configured to work in a previous version of FME using an SDE connection file path is populated when opened in 2023.2.
How I would expect to see the connection parameters when settings for the transformer are opened in 2022.2
How the connection parameters appear in 2023.2 for the same unchanged workspace

Is there any way for these to be maintained? The worry is someone coming after me to re-work these connections to a new file and not knowing what was originally used. Is there any way to find where these are stored in a 2023.2 workbench file?

icon

Best answer by kschilly 28 March 2024, 12:54

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

Not tested this myself, but I’m pretty sure if you open the workspace in Notepad you can find the connection file somewhere.

Badge +1

They do appear as the connection file parameter value in note pad. I am still confused as to why an SDE connection path isn’t displayed in the Feature Writer or Feature Reader transformer GUI of FME Form 2023.2 where other file types seem to have no issue displaying their connection file path parameter that was saved in a previous version of FME.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

They do appear as the connection file parameter value in note pad. I am still confused as to why an SDE connection path isn’t displayed in the Feature Writer or Feature Reader transformer GUI of FME Form 2023.2 where other file types seem to have no issue displaying their connection file path parameter that was saved in a previous version of FME.

I can reprocude your issue, this might be a bug.

You probably best submit a case at safe software.

https://support.safe.com/s/submit-case

Badge +1

I submitted a case to Safe and was informed the problem with the FeatureReader was resolved in version 2024.0 build 30394, the only solution appears to be to use the new version of FME.