Question

PointCloudSurfaceBuilder, right parameters to get a composite surface

• 29 January 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello!

I have been trying to create a surface of some pointclouds that shows a rock slope in a project. I have a pointcloud and tried with the pointcloudsurfacebuilder transformer. I tried to trick with the parameters, but can not make it work. I get the same result as @atle_hoidalen. -> Atles post

I am using the Simple Triangulation Construction Mode.

Someone at Safe that could look at this issue and come with some solutions? :)

Attached some pictures of the result.

3 replies

Badge +3

Hi! I might be wrong, but seems like you should play around with the parameters regarding the lenght of the triangles created? Your point cloud does not seem very dense so it might be that some points are too far away from each other to be triangulated with your current setting? I do not have any trouble using the simple triangulation method, my problem was using the poisson triangulation method. :)

Badge

Hi! I might be wrong, but seems like you should play around with the parameters regarding the lenght of the triangles created? Your point cloud does not seem very dense so it might be that some points are too far away from each other to be triangulated with your current setting? I do not have any trouble using the simple triangulation method, my problem was using the poisson triangulation method. :)

I have played around witth the lenght, this is a thinned pointcloud. I did try to triangulate the original file, i get the same result. Small holes where i can not manage to triangulate.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

I have played around witth the lenght, this is a thinned pointcloud. I did try to triangulate the original file, i get the same result. Small holes where i can not manage to triangulate.

Hi @RomanHassas,

This is a rather late jump in on my part here, but have you tried using the Poisson triangulation instead? This method creates a watertight surface so there shouldn't be any holes in the output, but once again it may take some experimentation with the parameters.

Otherwise, perhaps you could try using a SurfaceModeller instead. This article also links to a few other tutorials on working with point clouds and constructing surfaces. Hope this helps!