Question

How to write to a specific Google Fusion Table?

• 9 January 2013
  • 8 replies

Hi all, I'd like to figure out how I use FME to write to an existing Google Fusion table?

I have a google fusion table that contains pet ownership details, and I have a FMW that reads the in-house details then is ready to write out these details to the Fusion table, but I don't see how/where I specify the existing table name to update?

Ideally I'd like the FME to wipe all existing records from the fusion table, then update with the new records that my FMW has.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much

Steve

8 replies

Badge +14
The FeatureType (brown thing on the canvas at the right hand end of workspace) has a name, you can edit it by clicking the 'properties' button. With Google Fushion Tables the FeatureType name is the Table name. Your best bet when writing to an existing table is to add the writer first then, Writer > Import FeatureTypes and bring in the schema of the existing table. Then hook up your source, map the attributes and importantly ensure the FeatureType parameters on the Format Parameters Tab have the desired settings for Dropping (destroy and recreate) and Truncating (retain schema but delete all rows) the table.

Best of luck
Excellent info, thanks Dave.  I will try this now....

Steve
Dave I'm not seeing where I "Import Feature Types" for the google fuson table...

I added in the writer, specified the feature type name equal to my fusion table name.  Can you tell me how/where do I import feature types to get the schema?

Steve
Oops posted too soon  - I see the import feature types now...sorry about that.

Steve
Hmmm, well seems to run with no errors.  I've set the parameters to Truncate Yes.

I see the full schema for my fusion table.

But I get 0 features written and for some reason the inspector opens up with a warning that *** All writer output has been redirected to the Inspector applications ***

Any other suggestions Dave?  I have 57 features showing as writing to the fusion table, just nothing seems to really be happening on the fusion end..
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

Usually that means you have set the translation to be redirected to the visualizer, in he menu (cant remember the right one) you can find the option and turn it off.

Hope this helps,

Itay
That's working perfectly now guys!

Thank you very much for your help - really appreciated!

Steve
Badge +14
Glad we got you there... no worries! I meant to send this earlier but perhaps you've got past this by now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0r_ouBD_JI