Skip to main content
Dear Support Team,

Require your assistance on the below issue.

Issue: Unable to connect to the floating licence server on port 27009

Background:

-          I have installed the 2013 fme-desktop-win-x64.msi on our Non-Production servers

-          But our floating license server is on Production environment

-          Port 27000 is also pre-occupied for the backup purpose

As per my request our server team has opened up the port 27001-27009 between the Non-production and Production servers.

I am able to Telnet from Non-Production to Production on port 27009.  But I am unable to validate licence using “connect to a floating license server”.

It is unable to established connection.

Please advise if I am missing something. Or how would I resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Subrata 

Dearl All,

Earlier I have sent this  issue to 'support@safe.com'.

Please advise how we would resolve this.

Regards Subrata 
Hi Suovo,

I think support@safe.com should be able to help as that is the official support channel. This forum is mostly comprised of FME users, with some Safe employees chiming in now and again as well.

For your issues, have a look at: Hope this helps. If not, I would consider contacting Safe again.

David (not employed by Safe)
Thanks a lot David for getting back to me.

Even if the port 27009 is open between Non-Prod servers (Windows VM) to Prod FME licence Server and I am able to telnet to FME Floating license server on port 27009.

But for some reason FME installer on Non-Prod server (Windows VM) unable to connect to prod FME floating license server on port 27009.

Regards Subrata 

Hi Subrata

When specifying the licensing server name with the FME Licensing Assistant, have you tried to explicitely specify the port number? Specify it using the format: server:port

Example: srv-license:27001

Hope this helps.

David  

Have you seen the documentation for flaoting licences?

http://docs.safe.com/fme/pdf/FMEInstallationLicensing.pdf

Yes, I believe you can use <port number>@<license server> in the licensing assistant; for example 27002@myLicenseServer

You should also be able to edit the license file itself, and add a port number. For example my license file says:

SERVER localhost xxxxxxxxxxxx 27002

VENDOR safe PORT=1944

...where port 27002 is a static port that I wish to use for connections to the license server. Port 1944 is the port for the Vendor daemon to contact the license server, and you probably won't need to change that.
You can also find help on FMEpedia: here and here.
Hi David,

I did try explicitly using the server:port format. But it gave me same error “cannot connect to floating licence server”.

Regards Subrata 

Hi Mark,

I did look at the floating licences doco. Its works okay from our desktop but from our Non-Prod servers it doesn’t work. 

27001-27009 ports have been opened and I am able to telnet on 27009 from Non-Prod to Prod. Not sure what else need to be done.

I did try explicitly using the server:port format but no luck.

Regards Subrata 

Hi Subrata,

this kind of problem can be tricky to troubleshoot over a forum, as so much depend on your particular network infrastructure.

If possible, I would suggest to team up with your IT department. They should be able to monitor the activity between your machine running FME and the licensing server across their network and firewall. You would usually do this by having them actively monitor their firewall logs the exact moment when you try to connect to the licensing server with FME. They should be able to catch all blocked activity this way, giving you further clues as to where the issue is.

This is something that I have found very helpful on several occasions.

Good luck!

David

Dear All,

Sorry for letting you all know so late that we have resolved this issue at our end by opening up the firewall port:63691 between Production and Non-production for TCP two way traffic.

This configuration setting allowed us to validate FME floating licence from Non-Prod to Prod.

Best regards,

Subrata