Skip to main content
I am very new to FME so apologies in advance.

I am trying to rename attributes in a MapInfo file with the rename attribute transformer in FME. While it seems show the changes when inspected in the Universal Viewer I cannot see the changes when I open the browser in MapInfo.

Any ideas?
Hello. Have you added the new attributes to your writer? One quick way is to add a new writer, right click and choose copy attributes from transformer, choosing your attributerenamer.

You might have to check that the field types and lengths are correct.
Owen is spot on Dorian, changing the attribute names mid flow does so until they reach the target schema or the Visualiser/Inspector. Expand down the attributes on your target schema and you want to be able to see green arrows, not red ones. Red means an attribute has no values mapped to it and therefore you'll have an empty column. If you have just a few to key in then press the properties button in the top right corner and the User Attributes Tab add attributes or change the names of existing ones. Note that attribute names are case sensitive! As Owen highlights do make sure you make the data type appropriate for the content you are attempting to load into the fields.

Whilst you are at it check out the BulkAttributeRenamer or the AttributeExpressionRenamer if you are using FME 2012 or before... it may help too.
To add to the other two excellent replies, here is a screenshot that shows three target feature types with a mix of green (mapped) and red (unmapped) triangles next to the attribute names:

You basically want all your attribute names to have a) the names you want, and b) have a green triangle next to them.

David
Hi there,

Well what can I add to such replies.....maybe this:

The fact that you see the renamed attributes in the inspector/visualizer is because the features visualized come from a temporary ffs (fme format) and not the destination format.

Knowing this can spare future confusment and sometimes annoyance, due to the fact that you see what you expect but you dont get it..... 

Cheers,

Itay
So far no luck,

I have copied the reader attributes to my writer and have mapped the schema.

However I am getting no output  file ,even when I open the containing folder it is empty. Below is an image of my canvas.

probably something v simple:
I hadn't realised the writer attributes also had to be manully renamed also.

I was under the impression the attribute renamer  would automatically update the writer attributes.

I'm learning slowly but surely!!

Thanks for all your help above...
Manually renaing is not needed if you add an attribute keeper before the empty writer and select the attributes from it.

Enjoy your FME'ing..