Solved

How to run child workspaces under same username as parent

Badge

Following an upgrade to a new FME Cloud instance, my previous parent and child workspaces which ran under the same user account now run on different logins. My parent workbench runs on the correct login whilst all of the child workspaces run on a master login.

I have checked the credentials and re-published all workbenches with the correct user account details but still hit this issue.

If I add a grandparent workbench over both of these, it then runs on the correct login whilst the parent and child jobs run on the master login.

icon

Best answer by mwiltshire 20 May 2019, 09:40

View original

7 replies

Badge

Hi @mwiltshire

Are these workspaces ran by a schedule? Scheduled workspaces usually run under the user who created the schedule.

I assume you created an FME Server Backup and restored it on the new instance without changing any of the workspaces, correct?

Also is the master login you are mentioning the login that was used when you restored the backup? Not sure if this has something to do with it, but it's something we can test. I will update here once I tried reproduce this.

Badge

Hi @mwiltshire

Are these workspaces ran by a schedule? Scheduled workspaces usually run under the user who created the schedule.

I assume you created an FME Server Backup and restored it on the new instance without changing any of the workspaces, correct?

Also is the master login you are mentioning the login that was used when you restored the backup? Not sure if this has something to do with it, but it's something we can test. I will update here once I tried reproduce this.

Hi @gerhardatsafe,

They are not run on schedule. The parent workspace is triggered either manually in FME cloud or by a URL from a web app.

@olivermorris may be able to provide some more information on the upgrade but Im pretty sure he performed a backup and restore for the new instance. That would most likely have been using the master login but I will let Oliver confirm.

Badge +10

Hi @gerhardatsafe,

They are not run on schedule. The parent workspace is triggered either manually in FME cloud or by a URL from a web app.

@olivermorris may be able to provide some more information on the upgrade but Im pretty sure he performed a backup and restore for the new instance. That would most likely have been using the master login but I will let Oliver confirm.

yes just a back up and restore job. not a snapshot restore. thanks

Badge

yes just a back up and restore job. not a snapshot restore. thanks

Thanks for confirming. I will try to reproduce this so we can understand what's happening.

Badge

I haven't been able to reproduce this so far. Child workspaces will run under the user that was used in the Web Connection or embedded credentials which are specified in the FMEServerJobSubmitter. If that user does not exist the job won't run at all so in case of using a Web Connection I can't see any way how a workspace could be submitted by the FMEServerJobSubmitter using a different user unless the Web Connection or embedded credentials have been changed.

The user who published the child workspace has no effect on which user will run the workspace. So I think this should be easily fixable by updating the Web Connection or the embedded credentials in you parent jobs to whatever user you want to run the child jobs with.

Please let know if this helps.

Badge

Hi @gerhardatsafe,

Thanks for looking into this, I've managed to identify the cause now.

With our new instance we have standardized all of our connection names including web connections. The web connection I have set up on FME desktop is using the user credentials but has the same name as the web connection on FME cloud created with the master credentials. It appears when I publish from desktop to cloud the master credentials are being used over the user credentials in the FMEServerJobSubmitter.

I can republish using embedded credentials and this will get round the issue.

Thanks for your help!

Badge

I haven't been able to reproduce this so far. Child workspaces will run under the user that was used in the Web Connection or embedded credentials which are specified in the FMEServerJobSubmitter. If that user does not exist the job won't run at all so in case of using a Web Connection I can't see any way how a workspace could be submitted by the FMEServerJobSubmitter using a different user unless the Web Connection or embedded credentials have been changed.

The user who published the child workspace has no effect on which user will run the workspace. So I think this should be easily fixable by updating the Web Connection or the embedded credentials in you parent jobs to whatever user you want to run the child jobs with.

Please let know if this helps.

Hi @gerhardatsafe,

Thanks for looking into this, I've managed to identify the cause now.

With our new instance we have standardized all of our connection names including web connections. The web connection I have set up on FME desktop is using the user credentials but has the same name as the web connection on FME cloud created with the master credentials. It appears when I publish from desktop to cloud the master credentials are being used over the user credentials in the FMEServerJobSubmitter.

I can republish using embedded credentials and this will get round the issue.

Thanks for your help!