Skip to main content
Question

Connecting SDE with Windows Authentication

• 8 August 2023
  • 2 replies

We are connecting to an SDE database via and SDE file in server, we would like to use Windows Authentication and the service account the server runs under. But when I load an SDE connection file with Windows Authentication selected it does not pick up the windows credtiasl of the service account.

Error Message:

Could not open the Enterprise Geodatabase. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147216118'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {Bad login user}

Please ensure the connection parameters are correct (server=`egisdev-db.tnad.tasnetworks.com.au', instance=`sde:sqlserver:egisdev-db.tnad.tasnetworks.com.au', user=`', password=`***', database=`EGIS_UNMaster', version=`sde.DEFAULT')

I have tried reading from the DB using a database connection set to Windows Authentication, but we need to to use SDE connection as these are esri geodatabases.

Any thoughts?

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hi @jackyd​:

1. What version of FME are you using?
  2. I'm assuming you are trying to do this in FME Workbench and not in FME Flow?
  3. Can you confirm that you are using a Windows Authenticated Connection file (i.e. created with operating system authentication--ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro)? If so, have you successfully connected to the geodatabase using this same SDE connection file with the Windows Auth. in ArcGIS, and on the same computer as FME?
Badge +8

Hi @jackyd​:

1. What version of FME are you using?
  2. I'm assuming you are trying to do this in FME Workbench and not in FME Flow?
  3. Can you confirm that you are using a Windows Authenticated Connection file (i.e. created with operating system authentication--ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro)? If so, have you successfully connected to the geodatabase using this same SDE connection file with the Windows Auth. in ArcGIS, and on the same computer as FME?

Hi @nampreetatsafe​ 

So it turns out the permissions on the db hadn't been granted for the user :)

Thank you fro your reply