Solved

Writing features to ArcGIS Online

• 14 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi,

Im trying to write approx 17.000 rows into an existing feature service in AGOL. I get the error "entity too large for url", so I assume its too many rows. I have tested with a few rows, and that works fine. 

I have tried now to use the ModuloCounter and a TestFilter to split into smaller groups, and then add multiple AGOL-writers, so they only write one group at the time. Im not sure this is the best way to go, as I would the need a lot of writers.

imageAnother is to use the FeatureWriter to do the same, but I would still need to do the setup for all the groups, so not sure if thats ideal.

Does anyone have any better suggestion?

Best,

Anne Kathrine

icon

Best answer by tomfriedl 15 December 2022, 08:20

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Have you set the writer-parameter "Features Per Request"?

Have you set the writer-parameter "Features Per Request"?

Hi @tomfriedl​ , yes, I added as many 0's as I could, just to make sure :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

sometimes less is more, the help writes:

Features Per Request

This parameter specifies the maximum number of features that may be present in a single write request to the server. This limit applies to Insert, Update, Delete, Upsert, and truncation. The writer will issue a request to the server whenever a single feature type accumulates the number of output features specified by this parameter.

Note: This parameter is only applicable when writing to an existing Feature Service. If the Feature Service was created in the same translation, then this parameter is ignored.

This parameter is useful for avoiding server timeouts or HTTP 500 responses that may result from long write operations.

If this parameter is not provided, it defaults to 1000.

Features Per Request

This parameter specifies the maximum number of features that may be present in a single write request to the server. This limit applies to Insert, Update, Delete, Upsert, and truncation. The writer will issue a request to the server whenever a single feature type accumulates the number of output features specified by this parameter.

Note: This parameter is only applicable when writing to an existing Feature Service. If the Feature Service was created in the same translation, then this parameter is ignored.

This parameter is useful for avoiding server timeouts or HTTP 500 responses that may result from long write operations.

Hi @tomfriedl​ Im not sure it will help adjusting, since I anyway gets an error when trying to write less features than what is specified. So I think I need to find a more neat way to write data in smaller groups.

Features Per Request

Hi @tomfriedl​ ,

You were right. It worked fine adjusting the features pr request to 100. I think I just needed a few days to sink in what you actually suggested! ;)