Solved

Problem using direct connect to ESRI Geodatabase from FME Server

• 29 November 2013
  • 7 replies

On my server machine I can use direct connect in ArcCatalog to connect to a Geodatabase, Using the same parameters (sde:oracle11g:<dbinstance> )in FME Server causes an abort with the message "Could not open the Enterprise Geodatabase. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147155644'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {Server library could not be loaded}".

On my local machine where I author my workspaces I can run the workspaces in FME Desktop using direct connect.

ArcGIS version 10.0

FME Server 2012 sp3

Any suggestions why FME Server direct connect won't work?

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 2 December 2013, 11:00

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi There

The syntax is slightly different in FME or at least here is what worked for me:

for the Instance parameter of the reader or writer in workbench enter:

sde:oracle10g (I guess it's 11g for you)

for the passworkd parameter:

password@OracleServiceName

More information here:

http://fmepedia.safe.com/articles/FAQ/How-do-I-connect-to-my-ArcSDE-Geodatabase-using-Direct-Connect
Thanks for a quick answer!

I have tried both

sde:oracle11g:OracleServiceName with user/password

and

sde:oracle11g with

None work with FME Server but both syntaxes work from the 10.0 ArcCatalog on the server machine and with Desktop Workbench on my machine.

I thought FME Server would be using the ESRI Desktop installation to connect, but something seems to differ in the way the direct connect is done in FME Server...? Or something missing in the installation...?

We are currently connecting using ArcSDE application server, but would like to switch to direct connect as we are having problems with ArcSDE intermittently rejecting connections.

Hi Limpan

For direct connect to a oracle database you need the Oracle Client.

Is it installed on your server?

Thomas
Hi Thomas,

yes, I have oracle a 11 g client installed, and my ArcGIS Desktop on the same server can do direct connect using both syntaxes below.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi Limpan

I wonder if this relates to the fact that the by default the user running the FME Server windows service is Local System - not the logged in user.  This could be an issue if any of the environment variables we need are "user" rather than "system" enviroment variables:

AGSDESKTOPJAVA is used by FME to find the SDE libraries

TNS_ADMIN might be used to tell your Oracle client where to look for the Oracle service name definitions in tnsnames.ora

Is your server machine the same machine that is actually hosting the database. If so you might also want to have a look at this article here here it talks about which talks the error "Server library could not be loaded " and points to the SDEHOME enviroment variable.

http://help.arcgis.com/EN/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00050000000s000000

Hope this helps, if not I will flip this over to support for you.

Thanks

Ken

Hi Ken,

after your tip we looked closer on our server configuration and the problem was caused by two conflicting oracle client installations. After uninstalling both oracle clients and installing a fresh oracle 11g client we get FME Server to do a direct connect.

Thanks a lot!

Tomas
Badge +11
Hi Limpan

I wonder if this relates to the fact that the by default the user running the FME Server windows service is Local System - not the logged in user.  This could be an issue if any of the environment variables we need are "user" rather than "system" enviroment variables:

AGSDESKTOPJAVA is used by FME to find the SDE libraries

TNS_ADMIN might be used to tell your Oracle client where to look for the Oracle service name definitions in tnsnames.ora

Is your server machine the same machine that is actually hosting the database. If so you might also want to have a look at this article here here it talks about which talks the error "Server library could not be loaded " and points to the SDEHOME enviroment variable.

http://help.arcgis.com/EN/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00050000000s000000

Hope this helps, if not I will flip this over to support for you.

Thanks

Ken

This is a great suggestion by Ken! Recently the dreaded ArcObjects Error -2147155644 was observed with FME Server 2016.1.0.1 Build 16494 Win64 (with 64-bit Background Geoprocessing installed). The workspace was accessing an ArcSDE table stored on an Oracle 11g backend. Changing the user running the FME Server Core and Engines Windows Service solved this issue -- this may be experienced if your ArcSDE uses IWA/SSO authentication methods.