Allow FME Server user name to be not case sensitive

Related products: FME Form

I have had a number of clients ask me why the FME Server user name is case sensitive.

I did not even realize this before, but they were right.

Can an option (configuration) be added to make the user name not case sensitive?

Most systems have user names that are not case sensitive.

The value FME Server uses is from sAMAccountName in Active Directory and yes... Case Sensitive. It does catch a lot of people. Would be good to be less strict with the case of the username.

I agree. Our active directory account names are not consistent. It looks like capitalization varies depending on who added the account and when it was added (some are proper case, some all upper, some all lower). It took me forever to figure out why some people could log in to FME server and some could not. Most people do not even know if their account names have capital letters since user name are usually not case sensitive.

Plus 1 from here too. Time with a customer this week where I helped to configure AD and we discovered the same thing. Flexible login where case is concerned when they login to Windows but FME Server only allows the exact AD defined case. Definitely would like this to change as requested by an existing customer. Thanks.

Plus 1 from here too. Time with a customer this week where I helped to configure AD and we discovered the same thing. Flexible login where case is concerned when they login to Windows but FME Server only allows the exact AD defined case. Definitely would like this to change as requested by an existing customer. Thanks.

Aha! This would make our lives a lot easier! We are using AD to access FME Server. However, the AD usernames have been configured in many different ways by our IT department. For example, they could be:

AlanPartridge

alanpartridge

alanPartridge

Alanpartridge

The problem is, the users are not aware of how their AD accounts have been created.
"Jurassic Park!"

i think the consistency around AD account name creation within large organisations can be a common problem. for FME Server to be more flexible in the way it handles login would be great.

We might profit too from case insensitive AD login handling by FME Server @gu19495

Is it possible that this will be fixed in FME Server 2018?

I echo the same comments above. Having the ability to specify whether you want to enforce case-sensitivity in usernames is essential.

LoGINS ArE nOW CaSE inSeNsITIve! Check out the latest FME Server 2018.1 Betas (Build 18487 and Newer).

Note: Passwords will remain to be case-sensitive...

Please note that this is a beta feature and its functionality is subject to change as the product continues to evolve before the official release.

Should this feature or its implementation not address your concerns, related to this Idea posting, please let us know by leaving a comment.

As with all beta features and beta versions of our software, they are not considered production-safe and should be incorporated into your workflows with consideration and testing.

FME Server 2018.1 has been released July 18th, 2018 and the status of this idea has been set accordingly.

FME Server 2018.1 has been officially released July 18th, 2018 and the status of this idea has been set accordingly.