Question

Install/Upgrade to Latest flow fails to start - The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption

• 27 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

When doing a start of the services after the DB has been initialized; I get this...

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: "PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target".

Have verified the Server/Port pair are correct, as well as verified the port accessibility from the Flow Server to the DB.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Thats an error i've never seen, my first read though I jumped to the idea that the SSL cert on Flow was not setup correctly, but rereading clarifies that its not.

I wonder if there is an error in your connection string to the DB? I also found this article that suggest adding the following to the end of the connection string

trustServerCertificate=true;

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32766114/sql-server-jdbc-error-on-java-8-the-driver-could-not-establish-a-secure-connect

Another thought is that maybe there is some incompatibility around tls versions? But that is pure speculation from my end and well out of my knowledge

Badge +1

Thats an error i've never seen, my first read though I jumped to the idea that the SSL cert on Flow was not setup correctly, but rereading clarifies that its not.

I wonder if there is an error in your connection string to the DB? I also found this article that suggest adding the following to the end of the connection string

trustServerCertificate=true;

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32766114/sql-server-jdbc-error-on-java-8-the-driver-could-not-establish-a-secure-connect

Another thought is that maybe there is some incompatibility around tls versions? But that is pure speculation from my end and well out of my knowledge

Wonderful catch; I didn't think to try and add that to my fmeDatabaseConfig.txt file; but that worked like a charm...

Badge

I was having this exact same problem and adding this to the fmeDatabaseConfig.txt file worked as well!

Note - I am installing FME Flow 2023.1.2