Skip to main content

Is there a way to bring the user name who requested a job run into the workspace as an attribute? 

My current attempt uses a PythonCaller with the following code: 

import fme, os
import fmeobjects

def processFeature(feature):
    feature.setAttribute('Username', os.getenv('USERNAME'))
    pass

...and passes Username on as an exposed attribute. This works fine in Desktop, but in Server it always results in the Service Account username populating the attribute. 

So if I run this in Desktop, Username is populated with jpickles... if I run this in Server, Username is populated with serviceaccount even though I am logged into FME Server as jpickles. 

Is there an easier way to accomplish this task that I am currently unaware of? 

Thats the expected behavior as on server engines, and subsequently the workbenches the run, use the service account.

The parameter FME_SECURITY_USER will display the user who is running the process on server

It will be empty on desktop, so if the process needs to do it on both desktop and server, you could add soem logic to see if the parameter is empty, if it is, use the python, if not, use the param value

Thats the expected behavior as on server engines, and subsequently the workbenches the run, use the service account.

The parameter FME_SECURITY_USER will display the user who is running the process on server

It will be empty on desktop, so if the process needs to do it on both desktop and server, you could add soem logic to see if the parameter is empty, if it is, use the python, if not, use the param value

Thank you. This works when running the workspace in both FME Desktop and FME Server now. 

For future reference to anyone following this, this snippet in a PythonCaller will do the trick: 

if not FME_MacroValuesn'FME_SECURITY_USER']: 
    else:
        feature.setAttribute('Username', FME_MacroValuest'FME_SECURITY_USER'])
    pass

My issue now is that when I run this workflow in a Workspace App, it still pushes the service account user name instead of the security_user. Manually running it via Run Workspace works as expected, but any runs through the Workspace App do not. 

Is there any particular way to force the correct username through a Workspace App?

Thank you. This works when running the workspace in both FME Desktop and FME Server now. 

For future reference to anyone following this, this snippet in a PythonCaller will do the trick: 

if not FME_MacroValues)'FME_SECURITY_USER']: 
    else:
        feature.setAttribute('Username', FME_MacroValues 'FME_SECURITY_USER'])
    pass

My issue now is that when I run this workflow in a Workspace App, it still pushes the service account user name instead of the security_user. Manually running it via Run Workspace works as expected, but any runs through the Workspace App do not. 

Is there any particular way to force the correct username through a Workspace App?

Unless the App forces a login to your FME Server instance, there is no way for FME Server to know the username of the App user. (Maybe unless you have activated SSO, and even then I'm not sure it would work).

PS, you can safely remove "pass" from the above code, it does nothing :-)

else:
    pass

We have SSO enabled and force log-in to use the workspace. The info should be there. 

else:
    pass

It might interest you that this idea just now changed status to "in beta":

https://community.safe.com/s/idea/0874Q000000j0L1QAI/detail

else:
    pass

Ah yes. That would do the trick. And now we wait patiently for release. 

Thanks!