Skip to main content

Hello,

FME Server 2020.1 on Windows 10 64bit

I'm attempting to add a shared folder in a different Windows 10 machine [b] as a network based resource to an FME Server which is running on a Windows 10 machine [a].

The machine [b] belongs to a closed network which is different from the network where the machine [a] belongs to, so I firstly configured an Ethernet (wired LAN) connection between the two machines.

I believe this has been done successfully, since the shared folder in the machine [b] can be accessed (read/write) with the Windows Explorer in the machine [a], using both IP address and computer name.

Next, I created a new network based resource for the FME Server running on the machine A].

However, failed to connect the shared folder.

This was the same even if I set the UNC path with the IP address.

I was able to create and connect a network based resource successfully with the same manner if the shared folder is located in a machine belonging to the same network to which the machine nA] belongs.

My question is: Doesn't FME Server support to use a shared folder in a machine iB] belonging to a different network as a network based resource?

If yes, how can I configure the new resource correctly?

If no, is there any way to automatically get files in the shared folder in the machine iB] from the FME Server running on the machine iA]?

Thank you for your interest.

The problem seems to have been resolved by changing Log On account of the services below from Local System to a Windows user account with administrative privileges.

• FME Server Application Server
  • FME Server Engines

Running the FME Server System Services Under Different Accounts (Windows)

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/AdminGuide/Running_System_Services_Under_Different_Accounts.htm

Thank you for your interest.

The problem seems to have been resolved by changing Log On account of the services below from Local System to a Windows user account with administrative privileges.

• FME Server Application Server
  • FME Server Engines

Running the FME Server System Services Under Different Accounts (Windows)

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/AdminGuide/Running_System_Services_Under_Different_Accounts.htm

I found this note in the bottom of Directory and Account Permissions.

"***To ensure the integrity of your overall file system, avoid running the FME Engines under an account with local administrator privileges, unless workspaces read or write data that requires a local installation of Esri ArcGIS. These formats require an administrator account to access the ArcGIS license."

ArcGIS installation is not required in my case, but it seems to be necessary to run the FME Engines service under an administrator account if the FME Server needs to access a folder in a computer belonging to a different network as a network based resource. Is my solution correct regardless of the note above?

Hi!

I had a very similar issue, where we could read a file in a folder mapped as a network resource when running a workspace, but not see the files (and would get the same error when adding that network resource) in the web interface. In that case, the issue was that FME Server Core wasn't running as the service account with permissions to read that network-based resource, but as the local system admin account, which didn't have those issues.

However, the FME Engine did run as the service account with permissions, hence we could read the file (that we just couldn't see in the web interface).